California Avocado “Corndogs”
Ingredients6 ripe, Fresh California Avocados*, peeled and seeded 3 cups packaged cornbread mix, (1 lb.-1 ¼ oz.) 1 1/2 cups water, (12 oz.) 12 dried California chiles 6 limes, each cut into 4 wedges 3/4 cup all purpose flour, (3 oz.) Salt and pepper, to taste Canola oil, for frying 24 8-inch skewers As needed chili-lime seasoning California Avocado Ranch Dressing, for dipping (recipe follows) Fresh cilantro, for garnish California Avocado Ranch Dressing (Yield: 1-½ cups) 1/2 cup ripe, Fresh California Avocado, finely mashed 1 cup prepared ranch dressing
California Avocado Ranch Dressing:
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350°F.
- In batches, grind the dried chiles with seeds in a spice grinder. Whisk into the cornbread mix. Set aside.
- Cut each avocado into 4 wedges and season with salt and pepper. Carefully skewer each wedge. Dust the wedges with flour, shaking off excess. Place the skewers on a tray and freeze for 5-10 minutes.
- Whisk the water into the cornbread-chile mix (consistency should be like pancake batter).
- Dip frozen skewers in batter, allowing excess to drip off.
- Fry skewers until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined tray. Serve 2 skewers on each plate with lime wedges and chili-lime seasoning, and 2 Tbps. California Avocado Ranch Dressing, if desired, for dipping. Garnish with cilantro.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados