California Avocado Croque Oscar
Ingredients12 sourdough bread slices, 3-4" diameter, ¼" thick 2 1/2 Tbsp. butter 72 thin asparagus spears, 2-3" long, poached until tender-crisp 12 slices raclette or Muenster cheese (12 oz.) 12 oz. jumbo lump crab meat, warmed 12 oz. California Avocado-Brown Butter Hollandaise (recipe follows) 6 Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded, sliced and fanned 4 Tbsp. chives or green onions, thinly sliced for garnish California Avocado-Brown Butter Hollandaise (Yield: 1 ½ cups) 3 egg yolks 1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice 1 tsp. Dijon mustard 3 Tbsp. hot water 1 Fresh California Avocado, peeled and seeded 1 dash cayenne hot pepper sauce 1 dash Worcestershire sauce 6 oz. unsalted butter Salt to taste
California Avocado-Brown Butter Hollandaise:
- Place butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until butter solids turn brown. Remove from heat and immediately pour butter through a strainer into a bowl. Discard solids. Keep brown butter hot (140°F).
- In a blender, process egg yolks until fluffy and light in color. Add lemon juice, mustard, hot water, avocado, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Puree on high speed. With the blender still running, drizzle the hot browned butter into the yolk mixture. If the sauce is too thick, adjust the consistency with additional hot water. Season with salt to taste. Pour sauce into a bowl and keep warm.
- Preheat a flattop/griddle over medium heat. Sparingly butter one side of each bread slice, then place them butter side down on the flattop/griddle.
- Arrange 6 asparagus spears on each slice of bread so that the points are just peeking over the top edge of each slice. Top each with one slice of cheese. Allow the cheese to melt and the bottom of the bread to turn golden brown.
- Add ¾ oz. warm crabmeat to the top of each slice. Pour ¾ oz. of California Avocado-Brown Butter Hollandaise over each pile of crabmeat.
- Finish each Oscar with 5 thin, fanned slices of Fresh California Avocado, a drizzle (¼ oz.) of California Avocado-Brown Butter Hollandaise and ¼ oz. crabmeat. Garnish each with 1 tsp. of chives or green onion and serve immediately.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados