These tasty bite size pancakes, topped with a creamy California Avocado-infused crème fraiche, eggs and smoked salmon, are the perfect dish for a weekend brunch.
California Avocado, Egg and Smoked Salmon Blini
|2||ripe Fresh California Avocados, quartered, peeled and seeded|
|As needed||Kosher salt, to taste|
|16||Blinis (see make-ahead recipe below)|
|1/2||ripe Fresh California Avocado, cut into thin slices and halved|
|2 1/2||Tbsp.||active dry yeast|
|5 1/4||cups||all-purpose flour, sifted|
|5||large egg yolks|
|3/4||cup||plus 2 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil|
|As needed||Cooking oil spray|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Mix together crème fraiche, avocados and lemon zest in a blender. Season with salt, to taste. Pour mixture in a large resealable plastic bag, remove all air and seal.
- In a small bowl, mix together the eggs and milk until combined. Heat a medium non-stick pan to low heat. Pour mixture into pan and make a thin omelet. When cooked through, flip the omelet onto a cutting board and use a round cookie cutter to cut out circles of the omelet that are the same size as the blinis.
- To serve, divide the blinis equally among plates. Top each blini with an egg round and smoked salmon. Cut a small hole in the corner of the bag of the crème fraiche mixture and squeeze some of the mixture onto each assembled blini. Garnish each blini with half of a thin avocado slice. Serve.
Makes approximately 40 (3-inch) bite sized blinis
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk, yeast and sugar to 110°F.
- Mix the salt and flour in a small bowl until combined.
- Place the egg yolks in a separate bowl and whisk in the oil slowly to make an emulsion.
- Add the milk to the egg mixture and add the flour to the egg-milk mixture. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour batter in large container and cover to allow to proof. Proof in warm place till batter has doubled in size; about 1 -2 hours depending on the temperature of the room.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray, then pour small amounts of batter to form 1 1/2-inch blinis. Cook until the blinis begin to bubble; about 2 minutes. Flip over and continue cooking until brown on the other side, about 1 minute.
(4 blinis): Calories 1002; Total Fat 70 g (Sat 24 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 10 g, Mono 31 g); Cholesterol 360 mg; Sodium 2940 mg; Potassium 920 mg; Total Carbohydrates 69 g; Dietary Fiber 9 g; Total Sugars 11 g; Protein 27 g;
Vitamin A 1543 IU; Vitamin C 10 mg; Calcium 430 mg; Iron 5 mg; Vitamin D 312 IU; Folate 247 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.6 g
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 107%; Vitamin A 31%; Vitamin C 17%; Calcium 43%; Iron 29%
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © 2013, Neal Fraser