These tasty bite size pancakes, topped with a creamy California Avocado-infused crème fraiche, eggs and smoked salmon, are the perfect dish for a weekend brunch.
California Avocado, Egg and Smoked Salmon Blini
Total Time: 10 min
Ingredients1 cup crème fraiche 2 ripe Fresh California Avocados, quartered, peeled and seeded 1 lemon, zested As needed Kosher salt, to taste 4 Eggs 1 Tbsp. milk 4 oz. smoked salmon 16 Blinis (see make-ahead recipe below) 1/2 ripe Fresh California Avocado, cut into thin slices and halved Blinis 4 cups milk 2 1/2 Tbsp. active dry yeast 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar 2 1/2 Tbsp. salt 5 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted 5 large egg yolks 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil As needed Cooking oil spray
- Mix together crème fraiche, avocados and lemon zest in a blender. Season with salt, to taste. Pour mixture in a large resealable plastic bag, remove all air and seal.
- In a small bowl, mix together the eggs and milk until combined. Heat a medium non-stick pan to low heat. Pour mixture into pan and make a thin omelet. When cooked through, flip the omelet onto a cutting board and use a round cookie cutter to cut out circles of the omelet that are the same size as the blinis.
- To serve, divide the blinis equally among plates. Top each blini with an egg round and smoked salmon. Cut a small hole in the corner of the bag of the crème fraiche mixture and squeeze some of the mixture onto each assembled blini. Garnish each blini with half of a thin avocado slice. Serve.
Makes approximately 40 (3-inch) bite sized blinis
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk, yeast and sugar to 110°F.
- Mix the salt and flour in a small bowl until combined.
- Place the egg yolks in a separate bowl and whisk in the oil slowly to make an emulsion.
- Add the milk to the egg mixture and add the flour to the egg-milk mixture. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour batter in large container and cover to allow to proof. Proof in warm place till batter has doubled in size; about 1 -2 hours depending on the temperature of the room.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray, then pour small amounts of batter to form 1 1/2-inch blinis. Cook until the blinis begin to bubble; about 2 minutes. Flip over and continue cooking until brown on the other side, about 1 minute.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados