California Avocado Garden Stir-fry
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1 1/2||Tbsp.||prepared low-sodium balsamic dressing|
|2||tsp.||dried tarragon leaves crushed, divided|
|1/2||lb.||boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|2||leeks, white part only, thinly sliced and made into rings|
|3||cloves garlic, thinly sliced|
|3||Japanese eggplants, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds|
|1||(8-oz.) package crimini mushrooms, sliced|
|1||red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips and halved|
|1||orange bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips and halved|
|1/2||tsp.||ground black pepper|
|1/2||tsp.||Red pepper flakes|
|1/4||lb.||pea pods, ends trimmed|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes|
|3||cups||cooked brown rice|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- In a medium bowl, combine salad dressing and 1 tsp. tarragon. Add chicken, stirring to coat. Marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat a 12-inch skillet with cover over high heat until hot. Add chicken and stir-fry until no longer pink inside. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat oil until hot. Add leeks and garlic. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add eggplant, mushrooms and bell peppers. Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and 1/2 tsp. tarragon. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Cover and steam for 2 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli, pea pods, honey and remaining 1/2 tsp. tarragon. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in avocados and cooked chicken.
- Serve over brown rice.
Tip: Crimini mushrooms also can be found at grocery stores under the name baby bellas or browns.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 2273 (IU); Vitamin C 90 mg; Calcium 125 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 (IU); Folate 216 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.6 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 45%; Vitamin C 150%; Calcium 15%; Iron 25%