California Avocado Garden Stir-fry
Total Time: 15 min
Vitamin A 2273 (IU); Vitamin C 90 mg; Calcium 125 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 (IU); Folate 216 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.6 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 45%; Vitamin C 150%; Calcium 15%; Iron 25%
Ingredients1 1/2 Tbsp. prepared low-sodium balsamic dressing 2 tsp. dried tarragon leaves crushed, divided 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces 1 Tbsp. canola oil 2 leeks, white part only, thinly sliced and made into rings 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced 3 Japanese eggplants, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds 1 (8-oz.) package crimini mushrooms, sliced 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips and halved 1 orange bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips and halved 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper 1/2 tsp. Red pepper flakes 1 cup broccoli florets 1/4 lb. pea pods, ends trimmed 2 Tbsp. honey 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes 3 cups cooked brown rice
- In a medium bowl, combine salad dressing and 1 tsp. tarragon. Add chicken, stirring to coat. Marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat a 12-inch skillet with cover over high heat until hot. Add chicken and stir-fry until no longer pink inside. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat oil until hot. Add leeks and garlic. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add eggplant, mushrooms and bell peppers. Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and 1/2 tsp. tarragon. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Cover and steam for 2 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli, pea pods, honey and remaining 1/2 tsp. tarragon. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in avocados and cooked chicken.
- Serve over brown rice.
Tip: Crimini mushrooms also can be found at grocery stores under the name baby bellas or browns.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados