Blogger Chris Scheuer of The Café Sucré Farine says, “This delicious, vibrant version of classic Huevos Rancheros will be sure to please!” Fresh California Avocados and other fresh produce make this an especially beautiful dish for breakfast or anytime.
California Avocado Huevos Rancheros
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled|
|1||cup||fresh cilantro, divided|
|1 1/2||tsp.||dried crushed red pepper|
|2||Tbsp.||fresh lime juice|
|2||Tbsp.||olive oil, divided|
|1||large jalapeño, finely chopped|
|1/2||cup||finely chopped red or yellow bell pepper|
|1||medium clove garlic, minced|
|2||cups||red and/or yellow cherry tomatoes|
|2||ears fresh corn, kernels removed|
|1/2||tsp.||sea salt, plus additional to taste|
|2||tsp.||finely chopped fresh oregano|
|Fresh ground black pepper, to taste|
|4||(6-in.) corn tortillas|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- In a small bowl, mash the avocados with half of the cilantro, lime juice, and salt to taste. Set aside, covered with plastic wrap touching surface.
- Heat half the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add jalapeño and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until the peppers begin to soften, about 1 minute. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and golden, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and corn, sprinkle with sea salt and cook, stirring, until slightly softened and heated through, about 1 minute. Stir in the remaining cilantro and season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a bowl and wipe out the skillet.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet over medium-low heat. Break the eggs into the skillet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook, covered, until the whites are set, about 5 minutes.
- While the eggs cook, wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel or a damp kitchen towel, then wrap loosely in plastic wrap and place in a microwave-safe resealable plastic bag (keep the bag open to vent). Microwave until warm and flexible, about 15-30 seconds. If you don’t have a microwave, warm each tortilla in a dry skillet over medium heat until soft, then wrap in a slightly damp kitchen towel until ready to prepare.
- Place a warmed corn tortilla on each of the serving plates. Divide the avocado mixture evenly among the plates on top of tortillas. Top each with an egg and some of the tomato/corn mixture. Garnish with more cilantro and/ or fresh oregano, if desired. Serve immediately.
Serving suggestion: Garnish with fresh lime wedges if desired.
Beverage pairing: Nice with fresh-squeezed orange juice.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.