Fried Avocado Wedges with Mango Jalapeno Sauce
|2||Fresh California Avocados, seeded and each cut into 6 wedges*|
|As needed||Hot and Crunchy Mix (recipe follows)|
|1/2||cup||all purpose flour|
|As needed||Clarified butter, peanut oil, or canola oil for frying|
|As needed||Mango Jalapeño Sauce (recipe follows)|
|As needed||Mango Jalapeño Aioli (recipe follows)|
|Mango Jalapeño Sauce(Yield: ½ cup)|
|4||oz.||mango, ¼" dice|
|1 1/2||Tbsp.||white wine vinegar|
|1 1/2||tsp.||minced garlic|
|2 1/4||tsp.||diced red onion|
|1||jalapeño, seeded and sliced|
|Mango Jalapeño Aioli (Yield: 1 cup)|
|1/2||cup||Mango Jalapeño Sauce|
|1||oz.||fresh lemon juice|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|Hot and Crunchy Mix (Yield: 1 cup)|
|1 1/2||Tbsp.||red chili flakes|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
Mango Jalapeno Sauce:
- Combine mango, sugar, vinegar, garlic, and onions in a saucepot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add jalapeño slices and salt and simmer for an additional 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Chill well before making the aioli.
Mango Jalapeño Aioli:
- Combine all ingredients and chill overnight.
Hot and Crunchy Mix:
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse lightly until the mixture is coarsely ground and not over processed.
- Heat the clarified butter or oil in a large, heavy pan to 325°.
- Place the Hot and Crunchy Mix in a shallow pan. Place the flour in another shallow pan. Whisk together the egg and milk and pour into a third shallow pan.
- Dredge the avocado wedges in the flour until well covered, brushing off any excess. Next, dip the avocado into the egg mixture to coat entirely, then into the Hot and Crunchy Mix to cover, lightly pressing the mixture onto each wedge of avocado. Set each coated avocado wedge onto a sheet pan until all the wedges are breaded.
- Working in small batches, fry the breaded avocado wedges for about 3 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel lined tray.
- Serve 3 pieces per order, drizzling each with ¼ cup of Mango Jalapeño Aioli. Serving option: line a paper cone with a warmed flour tortilla. Pile avocado wedges into the cone, drizzle with ¼ cup of Mango Jalapeño Aioli.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.