California Avocado Pound Cake is wonderful with morning coffee or tea and delicious as an afternoon snack or dessert.
California Avocado Pound Cake
Total Time: 1 h
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 103 mcg; Vitamin C 1 mg; Calcium 38 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 106 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.14 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 2%; Iron 10 %; Vitamin D 0%
Ingredients1/3 cup semolina flour 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1/8 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. baking soda 1/4 cup heavy cream 1/2 cup ripe, Fresh California Avocado, mashed 1/4 cup butter, softened 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar 2 eggs, at room temperature 1 tsp. vanilla extract 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease the bottom and sides of a 9” x 5” loaf pan.
- Sift together the flours, salt and baking soda.
- In a small blender combine the heavy cream and avocado together until light and creamy; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the butter until fluffy. Add in the avocado mixture and beat until well-mixed.
- Beat in the sugar until the mixture is creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating on medium speed for one minute after each addition, then beat in the vanilla.
- Add in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk and ending with the flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for about 45 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick in the middle – it should be clean with no wet batter or just a few dry crumbs.
Serving Suggestion: Serve as is or top with avocado frosting.
Beverage Pairing: Cold milk or dairy-free beverage.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
We tested this in a glass loaf pan. We also tested this California Avocado Pound Cake with no cream, no butter and more California Avocado. It resulted in a delicious pound cake that was more dense/not as tall as the original. With more avocado, the alternate version has less saturated fat and more fiber than the original. If you would like to try it just omit the cream and butter, increase the avocado to 1 cup and increase the baking time by 5 minutes.
Did You Know?
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados