Avocado Cheesecake with Cherry Tomato Jam
Total Time: 45 min
Vitamin A 1234 IU; Vitamin C 9 mg; Calcium 52 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 5.2 IU; Folate 43 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.3 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 6%; Iron 8%
Ingredients1/4 cup sugar 14 oz. cream cheese 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados*, peeled and seeded 1 1/4 cups sugar 1 tsp. vanilla extract 4 Eggs 1 tsp. lemon zest Graham Cracker Crust (see make-ahead recipe below) Tomato-Vanilla Jam (see make-ahead recipe below) Graham Cracker Crust 1 1/2 cups Graham cracker crumbs 1/3 cup butter 1 Tbsp. butter, to grease pan Tomato-Vanilla Jam 1 cup sugar 1 cup water 1/2 vanilla bean, split 4 cups red cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Place the cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer. With a paddle attachment, whip the cream cheese over medium-high speed until smooth, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the avocado, sugar and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time, incorporating well after each addition.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer.
- Mix in the lemon zest and pour filling onto Graham Cracker Crust and smooth top with an offset spatula.
- Place on top of a baking sheet and bake at 300ºF for 45 minutes or until set. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate.
- Garnish with Tomato-Vanilla Jam and serve.
Graham Cracker Crust
- Combine crumbs and sugar in a medium mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter over medium heat and mix into crumb mixture with a spoon until well combined.
- With the remaining butter, grease the sides and bottom of a nine-inch spring form pan.
- Cut out a parchment paper circle to fill in the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the crumbs into the pan and press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the pan with your fingers.
- Bake at 300ºF for 5 minutes to set the crust and cool to room temperature.
- In a small pot, combine the sugar, water and vanilla bean and simmer until sugar is melted.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the tomatoes soften.
- Strain the mixture and reserve the tomatoes in a small bowl.
- Return the syrup back to the pot. Place pot over medium heat and reduce by half, approximately 10 minutes. Pour over the tomatoes and chill completely until ready to serve.
Recipe created by chef Trey Foshee for the California Avocado Commission.
To view or download a video of the chef demonstrating this recipe, click here.
Copyright © 2011, Trey Foshee
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados