Tortellini is tossed in a creamy avocado sauce for a crazy delicious and easy dinner any night of the week!
Who doesn’t love a good pasta dinner? My kids will devour any and all pastas. They ask me to make at least one pasta dish per week. One of our favorite kinds of pasta is tortellini. I thought that since I had a delicious assortment of California Avocados that I needed to use up, why not make a creamy avocado sauce to toss some tortellini into?
I have to admit that I was a bit nervous to make a pasta sauce using California Avocados. I mean, that’s not the first thing you think of when you think of the fruit! But oh my goodness. I can’t even describe how amazing this cream sauce turned out. It is so full of creamy, tangy, smooth flavor. It’s truly incredible. I can’t wait to make it again and again!
Seriously, just look at that gorgeous creamy green color! What’s not to love?! We happen to like tortellini but this sauce works great with any pasta. Serve with some extra parmesan cheese sprinkled on top and a little ground pepper and you have a fantastic dinner, any night of the week!
In addition to the health benefits from the avocado, you’re also adding in spinach to this dish. I love being a sneaky mom and adding in veggies where ever I can! I hope you’ll give this pasta dish a try for dinner tonight. Enjoy!
Creamy California Avocado Tortellini Recipe
Serves: 6 (1-cup) servings
- 2 large California Avocados, peeled seeded and halved
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves, packed
- 1 1/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne, or more to taste
- 1 (20-oz) bag refrigerated tortellini
- Shaved parmesan, for serving
- Cracked black pepper, for serving
- In a blender or food processor, puree avocados, spinach, evaporated milk, lime juice and garlic until completely blended.
- Pour mixture into saucepan and heat on medium-low. Add in salt, pepper, and cayenne. Taste and add seasonings to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat salted water in a large pot and cook tortellini per package directions. Drain water from pasta.
- When avocado mixture is warm and heated through, toss with drained pasta and serve with cracked black pepper and shaved parmesan.