This zesty appetizer featuring fresh California Avocados and Caribbean shrimp is the perfect way to kick off any BBQ or summer get-together.
California Avocado Salad with Shrimp and Louis Dressing
|4||Quail eggs, hard-boiled, peeled, and cut in half|
|As needed||hot sauce|
|1/4||cup||aioli (see recipe below)|
|1||lemon, for zest|
|2||Tbsp.||fines herbes (mixture of finely cut parsley, chervil, tarragon, and chives)|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and thinly sliced|
|1/4||cup||Louis Dressing (see recipe below)|
|1/4||cup||Lemon Citronette (see recipe below)|
|2||each radish, julienned|
|2||carrots, peeled into thin strips|
|As needed||Salt and black pepper|
|2||garlic cloves, slightly smashed|
|As needed||Salt and black pepper, to taste|
|4||tsp.||cornichons, finely chopped|
|4||tsp.||capers, finely chopped|
|As needed||Salt and black pepper|
|2||Tbsp.||Extra virgin olive oil|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Devil the Quail eggs by removing the yolks from the hard-boiled eggs and placing them in a small bowl. Using the back of a fork, smash the yolks and mix with a dash of hot sauce and 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pipe or spoon the yolk mixture back into the egg whites. Reserve cold until needed.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Poach the shrimp until cooked through and transfer to an ice bath to cool. Once cool, strain the shrimp, peel, and hold cold.
- In a medium bowl, combine the poached shrimp with the aioli, lemon zest, and fines herbes. Mix to combine and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Carefully place the avocado slices on a small square of plastic wrap. Place the shrimp mixture in the middle of the avocado. Using the plastic wrap as a guide, roll the avocado around the filling into a cylindrical shape. The cylinder should be approximately 1 – 1.5 inches in diameter.
- Using the back of a spoon, smear approximately 2T of Louis Dressing across each of four chilled plates.
- Remove the avocado rolls from the plastic wrap and place one avocado roll on each plate. Drizzle one half of the Citronette over the rolls and garnish with the deviled quail eggs.
- In a small bowl, dress the baby lettuces, julienned radish and carrot strips with the remaining Citronette. Garnish the dish with the dressed vegetables.
(Makes approximately 2 cups)
- Place a wet kitchen towel over a pot and place a medium mixing bowl over the towel.
- Add the garlic cloves, egg yolks, and Dijon to the bowl; whisk to combine.
- Combine the two oils and gradually stream into the bowl, whisking vigorously. It is important to add the oil very slowly in the beginning. As an emulsion forms, the oil can be added more rapidly. As you whisk in the oil, the emulsion will thicken. If the emulsion becomes too thick, add a few drops of water, whisk to thin, and then resume with the oil.
- Season to taste with the lemon juice, salt, and black pepper.
Note: If the emulsion breaks, start a new emulsion in a clean bowl. Once you have a solid emulsion formed, gradually add back the broken emulsion.
- Whisk first four ingredients together to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Hold cold until needed.
- Whisk the lemon juice and olive oil together to combine.
*Large avocados are recommended for these recipes. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © 2012, Molly Hawks