California Avocado Scrambled Eggs
Ingredients12 Eggs 1/4 cup half and half 2 Fresh California Avocados , peeled, seeded and each cut into 6 wedges* 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded 3 oz. green onions, chopped As needed Salt and pepper to taste 1 cup finely ground cornmeal 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 1/4 cup corn flour 1 cup buttermilk 1 1/4 qt. rice bran oil for frying As needed Creole Mustard Hollandaise, (recipe follows) Creole Mustard Hollandaise (Yield: 1 cup) 3 egg yolks 1/4 cup whole milk 1 Tbsp. butter 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese 1 Tbsp. creole mustard 1 tsp. mustard powder 1 pinch Red pepper flakes 1 pinch cayenne pepper 1 clove garlic, minced Tbsp. fresh lemon juice 5 oz. clarified butter, melted 1 1/2 tsp. chopped parsley As needed Salt and pepper to taste
Creole Mustard Hollandaise
- In a saucepan, bring milk, Parmesan cheese, butter, creole mustard, mustard powder, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper and garlic to a simmer. Simmer for 1-2 minutes. Add the lemon juice.
- In another saucepan, simmer a little water for a bain marie. Whisk egg yolks in a large stainless steel bowl. Slowly add the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks while whisking constantly.
- Place the bowl over the simmering water and whisk quickly until the mixture is slightly thickened (2-3 minutes). Remove from the heat and pour the clarified butter into the mixture in a slow steady stream while whisking constantly.
- Stir in the chopped parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Leave at room temperature until ready to use.
Prepare the avocados:
- Heat the rice bran oil in a deep fryer to 350°.
- Place the avocado wedges in the buttermilk to soak.
- Whisk together the cornmeal, all-purpose flour and corn flour with 1 tsp. of salt and 1 tsp. of black pepper.
- Remove the avocado wedges from the buttermilk and gently roll each one in the cornmeal mixture. Place a few at a time in the deep fryer and fry for 4-5 minutes, until golden brown, turning as necessary for even browning.
- Remove from fryer onto a paper towel lined tray and season with salt and pepper.
- Repeat with remaining avocado wedges.
Prepare the eggs:
- Heat the broiler in the oven.
- Heat a little oil or butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Whisk together the eggs and half and half. Pour the mixture into the pan and scramble until the eggs are cooked through, being careful not to overcook them.
- Sprinkle the cheese all over the top and place the pan under the broiler for 1-2 minutes.
- Divide the eggs between four plates.
- Place 3 fried avocado wedges on top of each plate of scrambled eggs.
- Top each with ¼ cup of Creole Mustard Hollandaise and generous amounts of chopped green onion. Serve.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados