California Avocado-Spiked Corn Soup
Vitamin A 2077 IU; Vitamin C 19 mg; Calcium 38 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 113 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.4 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 40%; Vitamin C 30%; Calcium 4%; Iron 6% *
Ingredients1 1/4 quarts chopped onion 1 1/4 quarts diced celery 2 cups coarsely shredded carrot 1/3 cup canola oil 3 lb. yellow corn kernels 1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme 3 qt. water As needed Salt - To taste As needed Freshly ground white pepper, to taste As needed Cayenne pepper, to taste 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice, or to taste 11 ripe, Fresh California Avocados As needed Carrot threads* - As needed for garnish
- Saute onion, celery and carrot in oil until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in corn, thyme, water, and 1 teaspoon salt; simmer 20 minutes.
- Coarsely puree mixture; return to pot.
- Stir in salt, white pepper, and cayenne to taste.
- Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice.
- Dice 8 California Avocados; stir into soup.
Just Before Service
- Slice remaining California Avocados for garnish; spray with lemon juice and keep covered with plastic wrap.
- Heat 1 cup soup; garnish with California Avocado slices and carrot threads.
*To make carrot threads, pull a zester down a large carrot.
Serving Size = 1 Cup
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados