Avocado Mac and Cheese
Total Time: 40 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 866 IU; Vitamin C 13 mg; Calcium 89 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 4.5 IU; Folate 86 mcg
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 17%; Vitamin C 21%; Calcium 9%; Iron 24 %
Ingredients1/2 lb. elbow macaroni 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded and peeled 4 oz. light cream cheese 1/4 cup Skim milk 1 tsp. oil 1/2 large green pepper, diced 1/2 medium onion, diced 2 invisibles cloves garlic, minced 1 medium tomato, diced 1/2 cup corn 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder 1 tsp. oregano 1 tsp. cumin 1 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. Red pepper flakes 1 jalapeno or Anaheim pepper, minced (optional) 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Bring water to a boil for the pasta in a medium saucepan. When the water comes to a rolling boil, add pasta. Reduce heat to medium and cook pasta for 8-10 min, or until al dente. When done, drain and set aside. While the pasta is cooking, you can start the sauce.
- Place avocado, cream cheese, and milk in the bowl of your food processor. Blend together until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil. Add diced green pepper, onion, and garlic. Sauté until onions are translucent (3-5 min).
- Add avocado puree and remaining ingredients, except shredded cheese. Heat over medium heat until sauce begins to warm (2-3 min). Add cheese ½ cup at a time, stirring to combine and let cheese melt between additions.
- Mix drained pasta with sauce and serve warm.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados