Avocado Mac and Cheese
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1||California Avocado, peeled and pitted|
|4||oz.||light cream cheese|
|1/2||large green pepper, diced|
|1/2||medium onion, diced|
|2||garlic cloves, minced|
|1||medium tomato, diced|
|1 1/2||tsp.||chili powder|
|1/2||tsp.||Red pepper flakes|
|1||jalapeno or Anaheim pepper, minced (optional)|
|1 1/2||cups||shredded Cheddar cheese|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Bring water to a boil for the pasta in a medium saucepan. When the water comes to a rolling boil, add pasta. Reduce heat to medium and cook pasta for 8-10 min, or until al dente. When done, drain and set aside. While the pasta is cooking, you can start the sauce.
- Place avocado, cream cheese, and milk in the bowl of your food processor. Blend together until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil. Add diced green pepper, onion, and garlic. Sauté until onions are translucent (3-5 min).
- Add avocado puree and remaining ingredients, except shredded cheese. Heat over medium heat until sauce begins to warm (2-3 min). Add cheese ½ cup at a time, stirring to combine and let cheese melt between additions.
- Mix drained pasta with sauce and serve warm.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 866 IU; Vitamin C 13 mg; Calcium 89 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 4.5 IU; Folate 86 mcg
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 17%; Vitamin C 21%; Calcium 9%; Iron 24 %