California Avocado with Mango Salad, Balsamic Caviar, and Cilantro Lime Dressing
|2||Fresh California Avocados*, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced|
|2||mangos, peeled and diced|
|Balsamic Caviar (recipe follows)|
|As needed||Cilantro Lime Dressing (recipe follows)|
|Balsamic Caviar (Yield: approx. 1 cup)|
|8||oz.||sunflower oil, chilled in freezer for 30 minutes|
|1||Tbsp.||agar agar flakes|
|Cilantro Lime Dressing (Yield: 3/8 cup)|
|1||tsp.||red chili pepper, finely diced|
|As needed||Salt to taste|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Mix the balsamic vinegar with the agar agar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce to heat to simmer until agar agar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and skim off any foam.
- Allow the balsamic vinegar mixture to cool to around 120° F, then pour into a narrow-nozzled squeeze bottle. Squeeze beads of the mixture into the chilled sunflower oil, and allow the pearls to solidify in the oil for a few minutes; then pour through a fine mesh strainer. Refrigerate the “caviar” until needed.
Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- Stir all ingredients together.
- Mix the diced mango with about ¾ of the cilantro lime dressing in a large bowl.
- Portioning one-half avocado per serving, create two fans from the avocado slices for each plate.
- Place about ¾ cup of the mango salad at the point of the avocado fans. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the avocado slices.
- Sprinkle each plate with about 1 tablespoon of the balsamic caviar. Serve.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.