Fried food can be a polarizing preference, but this method for making quinoa-crusted California Avocados and pairing them with a tangy tomato relish offers new textures, techniques and unexpected flavors. This avocado salad provides daily values of 43% dietary fiber, 20% potassium, 20% protein, 50% vitamin C, 45% folate, 10% vitamin A and 15% iron.
Quinoa Crusted California Avocado Salad
Total Time: 1 h 15 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 100 mcg; Vitamin C 49 mg; Calcium 58 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 171 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.85 g.
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 50%; Calcium 4%; Iron 15%; Vitamin D 0%.
IngredientsAvocado Brine (see make ahead recipe below) 4 firm-ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and halved 2 cups water 1 cup red quinoa 1 cup flour 1/2 tsp. paprika 1/2 tsp. black pepper 2 Tbsp. lemon zest 2 eggs 2 cups canola oil, or vegetable oil (for frying) 2 heirloom tomatoes, medium, or beefsteak tomatoes 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil Tomato Relish (see make ahead recipe below) 4 basil leaves, finely chopped 4 dill sprigs, finely chopped 4 parsley leaves, finely chopped Avocado Brine Ingredients: 2 1/2 Tbsp. sea salt 2 cups water 1 cup lime juice Tomato Relish Ingredients: 1/2 yellow onion, diced 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced 1/2 red bell pepper, diced 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil 1/2 Tbsp. Calabrian chiles, or red serrano peppers, chopped 1/2 tsp. ground coriander 1/2 tsp. dried oregano 1 1/2 cups vine ripe tomatoes, chopped 2 Tbsp. sherry vinegar, or red wine vinegar
- Soak halved avocados in Avocado Brine for 20 minutes.
- While avocados are soaking, bring water to boil, add quinoa and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and allow to cool.
- Remove avocados from brine and thoroughly dry.
- In large mixing bowl, mix flour, paprika, black pepper and lemon zest.
- In another mixing bowl, gently beat the eggs.
- Coat each avocado half in the seasoned flour then coat in egg mixture, followed by the quinoa last. Set aside.
- Heat canola or vegetable oil to 350 degrees F in a large pan and place the crusted avocado halves in to fry for about 3 minutes.
- Remove avocados and place on a wire rack or on a paper towel to dry and set aside. Cut each piece in half lengthwise.
- Cut tomatoes into large pieces and season with olive oil.
- Evenly spread a layer of the Tomato Relish on each plate.
- Evenly place tomatoes on plates and add 2 quarters of Quinoa Crusted Avocados.
- Sprinkle the salad with the fresh basil, dill and parsley and serve.
Avocado Brine Instructions:
- Combine all ingredients in a small pot and bring to boil for five minutes.
- Remove the brine from heat and let sit until room temperature.
- Set aside until ready for use.
Tomato Relish Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a large oven-safe pot, cook the onions, garlic, peppers and 1/4 cup of olive oil on medium heat until deeply caramelized, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add chiles, coriander and oregano and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes to the mixture and place in the oven for 45 minutes or until the mixture cooks down.
- Add remaining olive oil and vinegar and let cool to room temperature.
- Set aside until ready to serve.
Serving Suggestion: Instead of serving as a salad, try slicing the avocados thinner to create bite-sized appetizers with tomato relish as a dipping sauce.
Beverage Pairing: The tang of the tomato relish combined with the avocado brine creates unique acidic flavors. Pair this with a similar minded white wine like Sauvignon Blanc or Riesling.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados