Fried food can be a polarizing preference, but this method for making quinoa-crusted California Avocados and pairing them with a tangy tomato relish offers new textures, techniques and unexpected flavors. This avocado salad provides daily values of 43% dietary fiber, 20% potassium, 20% protein, 50% vitamin C, 45% folate, 10% vitamin A and 15% iron.
Quinoa Crusted California Avocado Salad
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|Avocado Brine (see make ahead recipe below)|
|4||firm-ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and halved|
|2||cups||canola oil, or vegetable oil (for frying)|
|2||heirloom tomatoes, medium, or beefsteak tomatoes|
|1/2||cup||extra virgin olive oil|
|Tomato Relish (see make ahead recipe below)|
|4||basil leaves, finely chopped|
|4||dill sprigs, finely chopped|
|4||parsley leaves, finely chopped|
|Avocado Brine Ingredients:|
|2 1/2||Tbsp.||sea salt|
|Tomato Relish Ingredients:|
|1/2||yellow onion, diced|
|1||clove garlic, peeled and minced|
|1/2||red bell pepper, diced|
|1/2||cup||extra virgin olive oil|
|1/2||Tbsp.||Calabrian chiles, or red serrano peppers, chopped|
|1 1/2||cups||vine ripe tomatoes, chopped|
|2||Tbsp.||sherry vinegar, or red wine vinegar|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Soak halved avocados in Avocado Brine for 20 minutes.
- While avocados are soaking, bring water to boil, add quinoa and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and allow to cool.
- Remove avocados from brine and thoroughly dry.
- In large mixing bowl, mix flour, paprika, black pepper and lemon zest.
- In another mixing bowl, gently beat the eggs.
- Coat each avocado half in the seasoned flour then coat in egg mixture, followed by the quinoa last. Set aside.
- Heat canola or vegetable oil to 350 degrees F in a large pan and place the crusted avocado halves in to fry for about 3 minutes.
- Remove avocados and place on a wire rack or on a paper towel to dry and set aside. Cut each piece in half lengthwise.
- Cut tomatoes into large pieces and season with olive oil.
- Evenly spread a layer of the Tomato Relish on each plate.
- Evenly place tomatoes on plates and add 2 quarters of Quinoa Crusted Avocados.
- Sprinkle the salad with the fresh basil, dill and parsley and serve.
Avocado Brine Instructions:
- Combine all ingredients in a small pot and bring to boil for five minutes.
- Remove the brine from heat and let sit until room temperature.
- Set aside until ready for use.
Tomato Relish Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a large oven-safe pot, cook the onions, garlic, peppers and 1/4 cup of olive oil on medium heat until deeply caramelized, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add chiles, coriander and oregano and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes to the mixture and place in the oven for 45 minutes or until the mixture cooks down.
- Add remaining olive oil and vinegar and let cool to room temperature.
- Set aside until ready to serve.
Serving Suggestion: Instead of serving as a salad, try slicing the avocados thinner to create bite-sized appetizers with tomato relish as a dipping sauce.
Beverage Pairing: The tang of the tomato relish combined with the avocado brine creates unique acidic flavors. Pair this with a similar minded white wine like Sauvignon Blanc or Riesling.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 100 mcg; Vitamin C 49 mg; Calcium 58 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 171 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.85 g.
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 50%; Calcium 4%; Iron 15%; Vitamin D 0%.