California Donburi with California Avocado
|12||cups||cooked, brown short grain rice|
|6||Fresh California Avocados*, peeled, seeded, thinly sliced|
|6||cups||watermelon radish, quartered and sliced paper thin|
|6||cups||California Kimchi (recipe follows)|
|12||slightly less than hard-boiled eggs|
|1 1/2||cups||thinly sliced green onion|
|1 1/2||cups||Fresh Tare Sauce (recipe follows)|
|3/4||cup||Foundation Furikake (recipe follows)|
|California Kimchi (Yield: approx. 7 ½ cups)|
|3||heads Napa cabbage, quartered lengthwise|
|2||Tbsp.||Korean chile flakes|
|1 1/2||tsp.||Ground coriander|
|Generous pinch smoked paprika|
|Generous pinch yellow curry paste|
|Fresh Tare Sauce (Yield: 1/3 cup)|
|3||Tbsp.||dark soy sauce|
|3||Tbsp.||seasoned rice vinegar|
|3||Tbsp.||toasted sesame oil|
|1 1/2||Tbsp.||sliced ginger|
|3||tsp.||chopped garlic (1 tbsp.)|
|Foundation Furikake (Yield: ¼ cup)|
|6||Tbsp.||white sesame seeds|
|3||tsp.||celery salt (1 tbsp.)|
|3||tsp.||garlic powder (1 tbsp.)|
|3||tsp.||onion powder (1 tbsp.)|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Rub the cabbage quarters with the salt. Place on a tray and allow to sit for 4 hours until they are slightly softened and releasing water. Cut cabbage into bite size pieces, discarding the center core. Submerge the cabbage in water to wash off excess salt; then, dry in a salad spinner. Place dried cabbage in a large bowl.
- Blend all of the remaining ingredients until smooth. Pour the mixture over the cabbage and mix well. Transfer to three 1-quart jars, packing in the cabbage. Let sit out at room temperature until it releases bubbles when stirred and tastes tangy, approximately 3 days. Refrigerate to store.
Fresh Tare Sauce:
- Blend all ingredients except the sesame oil. With the blender running, slowly drizzle in the oil. Set aside.
- Toast the sesame seeds and fennel seeds in a pan over medium heat until golden brown. Mix the toasted sesame seeds and fennel seeds with remaining ingredients, breaking up any lumps. Return this mixture to the pan and toast for a few minutes. Let cool.
- Place 1 cup of rice into each serving dish/bowl, shaping as you desire. Season each mound of rice with 1 oz. of the Fresh Tare Sauce and top each with 1 tablespoon of the Foundation Furikake. Surround the rice with ½ cup soy-pickled cucumbers, ½ cup watermelon radish slices, ½ cup California Kimchi, ½ sliced Fresh California Avocado, 2 tablespoons of sliced green onions, and one egg sliced into wedges. Serve immediately.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.