Thin sliced ham, grilled onions, Monterey Jack cheese and fresh California Avocado served with whole grain mustard on sourdough bread.
California Ham Sandwich
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|As needed||Oil spray|
|1||large onion (8 oz.), peeled, and sliced into 1/3 inch thick slices|
|3||Tbsp.||whole grain mustard|
|8||slices sourdough bread|
|12||oz.||ham, thinly sliced|
|8||oz.||sliced Monterey Jack cheese|
|1||ripe, Fresh California avocado, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Heat a Panini press on medium-high heat. When the press is hot, lightly spray the press with oil. Lay all of the onion slices on the press and close the lid. Cook for 5 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Meanwhile, spread mustard on each of 4 slices of the bread.
- When onions are finished cooking, divide the onion mixture among the 4 slices of bread that have mustard on them. Top each with 3 oz. of ham, then 2 oz. of cheese, and ¼ of the avocado slices.
- Place the remaining bread slices on each sandwich and place in the Panini press two at a time.
- Close the lid and cook for 3–4 minutes until hot and the cheese has melted. Repeat with remaining two sandwiches. Serve immediately.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 504 IU; Vitamin C 8 mg; Calcium 483 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 40 IU; Folate 118 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.4 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 50%; Iron 25%