Japanese tradition meets the California Avocado in everyone’s favorite sushi roll. Fresh crab and cucumber are perfect companions for good-for-you avocado. If you’ve never made sushi at home, what are you waiting for? This recipe is so simple and tasty, you may never go to the sushi bar again.
|2||sheets nori (dried seaweed), cut in half|
|4||cups||prepared sushi rice|
|1 1/2||cups||cups fresh crab meat|
|1||small cucumber, cut into large matchsticks|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and cut into 16 slices|
|2||Tbsp.||tobiko/ white fish roe|
|Pickled ginger, optional|
|Tamari or soy sauce for serving, optional|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Place a sheet of nori (seaweed) on a plastic-wrapped bamboo roller. Wet your hands with cool water to prevent sushi rice from sticking. Take one cup of prepared sushi rice and spread it evenly around the seaweed.
- Sprinkle with ¼ of the sesame seeds. Flip the nori over so that the rice is in contact with the plastic wrap, leaving the bamboo roller in place.
- Layer ¼ of the crab, cucumber, and avocado on top of the nori on the side closest to you. Use your bamboo roller, to roll the sushi away from you. Press and roll until you get to the end.
- Cut the sushi in half with a very sharp knife and wipe the blade with a wet towel between each cut. Cut each piece in half again, and repeat until you have 8 pieces total.
- Remember to wipe your blade between each cut.
- Finally, top each slice with some tobiko. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with wasabi, ginger, and soy or tamari.
Beverage Pairing: Unfiltered Sake.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Calories 350; Total Fat 9 g (Sat 1 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 1.5 g, Mono 4.5 g); Cholesterol 100 mg; Sodium 450 mg; Potassium 340 mg; Total Carbohydrates 50 g; Dietary Fiber 4 g; Total Sugars <1 g; Protein 18 g; Vitamin A 190 IU; Vitamin C 6 mg; Calcium 81 mg; Iron 3.2 mg; Vitamin D 34 IU; Folate 138 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.1 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 8%; Iron 20 %.