California Avocado Summer Rolls
Ingredients12 spring roll wrappers 24 Bibb lettuce leaves 9 Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded, quartered and sliced lengthwise in thirds* 3/4 cup Thai basil leaves 3/4 cup Mint leaves 3 cups Pickled Vegetable Mixture (recipe follows) 3 cups cooked and cooled rice vermicelli noodles 1 1/2 cups House Sambal (recipe follows) Pickled Vegetable Mixture (Yield: 3 cups) 2 1/2 cups champagne vinegar 2 cups sugar 3/4 cup water 1 tsp. coriander seeds 1 tsp. chili flakes 1 Bay leaf 3 cups carrots, julienned 1 1/2 cups Green onion, sliced 1 1/2 cups cucumber, julienned House Sambal (Yield: 1-½ cups) 1 1/2 cups Fresno chilies, stems removed 1/4 cup champagne vinegar 2 Tbsp. sugar 1 garlic clove 1 Tbsp. soy sauce 6 Tbsp. honey 2 Tbsp. lime juice 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- Place carrots, green onions, and cucumber in a heat proof bowl.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, water, coriander, chili flakes, and bay leaf in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Pour vinegar mixture over vegetables and allow to cool for 2 hours at room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Combine all ingredients in a commercial blender. Process on low speed for coarse texture.
- Working one at a time, moisten a spring roll wrapper with water until it is pliable and easy to work with.
- Place 2 Bibb lettuce leaves on the wrapper, 1 inch from the edge closest to you. Layer on 3 avocado slices, 1 tablespoon of Thai basil, 1 tablespoon of mint, ¼ cup pickled vegetable mixture, and ¼ cup cooked rice vermicelli.
- Starting with the edge closest to you, tightly roll the spring roll. Trim ¼” off each end, then cut into 6 equal pieces. Repeat with remaining spring roll wrappers.
- Plate each roll (6 pieces) standing up and serve with 2 tablespoons of the house sambal.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados