Charro Pasta with California Avocado
Ingredients1 1/2 lb. red onion, diced 2 lb. Red bell pepper, diced 3/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil 1 oz. Garlic, chopped finely As needed Jalapeno pepper, chopped finely - 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon or to taste 1 cup tequila (or substitute orange juice) 3 lb. tomatoes (preferably Roma), peeled, seeded and chopped 2 cups chopped cilantro 1/2 cup chopped fresh oregano 2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 36 oz. angel hair pasta 6 California Avocados 3 cups feta cheese, crumbled 24 lime wedges
- Sauté onion and bell pepper in oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and jalapeno pepper; sauté until aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with tequila.
- Stir in tomato, cilantro, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Simmer, covered, until tomato releases juices, about 10 minutes; reserve.
- PER ORDER
- Cook 3 ounces of pasta in salted, boiling water until just tender; drain. Meanwhile, dice 1/2 avocado (about 2 ounces or 1/2 cup); reserve. Heat 1 cup reserved cooked vegetables. Stir in 1 ounce (1/4 cup) cheese and reserved diced avocado. Heat through. Adjust seasonings, if necessary. Stir hot, drained pasta in vegetable mixture; toss over medium-high heat. Serve with 2 lime wedges.
Try with a glass of Sangiovese wine.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados