Created by California Avocado grower Dorcas McFarlane, this delicious and unique recipe includes fresh California Avocados inside the casserole as well as in the topping!
Chicken and California Avocado Casserole
Total Time: 35 min
Vitamin A 653 IU; Vitamin C 12 mg; Calcium 456 mg; Iron 2.3 mg; Vitamin D 14 IU; Folate 50 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.2 g
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 37%; Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 45%; Iron 15%
Ingredients1 (16-oz.) container salsa verde (fresh green salsa in the refrigerated section) 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth 12 corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips 3 cups cooked shredded chicken 1 (8-oz.) package shredded jack cheese 1 (8-oz.) package shredded low-fat Mexican cheese 2 ripe Fresh California Avocados, halved, seeded, peeled and chopped 1/2 tsp. kosher salt As needed California Avocado Sauce (see make-ahead recipe below) California Avocado Sauce Ingredients 1 ripe Fresh California Avocados, peeled and seeded 2/3 cup low sodium chicken broth 1/8 ground black pepper 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine salsa verde and chicken broth in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cover bottom of prepared baking dish with half the tortilla pieces. Spoon half the salsa verde mixture over tortillas. Scatter half the chicken over salsa verde. Sprinkle with half of the cheeses. Spoon all the avocados evenly over cheese and sprinkle lightly with salt. Place remaining tortilla pieces on top of avocado, pressing gently to compress ingredients. Spoon remaining salsa verde mixture over tortillas, followed by the remaining chicken. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake until cheese is bubbly and begins to brown, about 35 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Place all ingredients in the work bowl of a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Top the casserole with sauce or serve on the side.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados