Chicken & Shrimp Diablo with California Avocado
IngredientsAs needed Spanish Rice (recipe follows) As needed Black Bean Corn Salsa (recipe follows) As needed White Queso Sauce (recipe follows) As needed Lime-Chipotle Glazed Shrimp (recipe follows) As needed Grilled Chicken Breast (recipe follows) 3 Fresh California Avocados, peeled, pitted, thickly sliced* 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped Spanish Rice (Yield: 2 cups) 5 oz. long grain converted white rice 2 1/2 oz. white onion, diced 6 oz. tomato sauce 12 oz. light chicken stock 1 1/2 tsp. canola oil 3/4 tsp. chili powder 1/4 tsp. garlic powder As needed Salt to taste Black Bean Corn Salsa (Yield: 2 cups) 7 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed 3 oz. frozen corn, thawed and drained 4 oz. Roma tomato, seeded and diced small 1 oz. red onion, diced small 1/2 oz. jalapeno, seeded and minced 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped 1 1/2 tsp. lime juice 1/2 tsp. honey As needed Salt to taste White Queso Sauce (Yield: ¾ cup) 4 oz. white processed cheese, grated 1 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, grated 1 oz. milk 1/2 tsp. butter 1/4 tsp. garlic powder 1/4 tsp. onion powder Lime-Chipotle Glazed Shrimp 12 oz. shrimp, 31/40 size, peeled and deveined 2 Tbsp. lime juice 1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar 1 1/2 tsp. honey 1/4 tsp. chipotle powder As needed Pinch black pepper As needed Pinch ground cumin 1 Tbsp. canola oil 1/2 tsp. cilantro, minced As needed Salt to taste Grilled Chicken Breast 6 4 oz. chicken breasts, boneless, skinless 1 Tbsp. canola oil 2 Tbsp. salt 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder 3/4 tsp. black pepper
- Heat the canola oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic powder and chili powder and stir until mixed in.
- Add the chicken stock, tomato sauce, and rice, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 25-30 minutes until all liquid is absorbed. Fluff with fork and season to taste with salt.
Black Bean Corn Salsa:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Let sit for 1 hour before using.
White Queso Sauce:
- Place cheeses, milk and butter in a medium sauce pan and heat over low, stirring constantly until cheese is melted and is a sauce-like consistency.
- Stir in garlic powder and onion powder until combined. Add more milk if a thinner consistency is desired.
Lime-Chipotle Glazed Shrimp:
- Combine the chipotle powder, sugar, honey, lime juice, black pepper and cumin in a bowl.
- Heat the canola oil in a pan over high heat. Add the shrimp and sauté about 30 seconds, then add the glaze. Sauté for about one more minute until shrimp are cooked through and glazed.
- Remove from heat and add cilantro and salt to taste.
Grilled Chicken Breast:
- Pre-heat a grill to 400°-450°F.
- Mix canola oil, garlic powder, black pepper and salt in a bowl. Add chicken to bowl and coat well.
- Grill chicken making cross marks until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
- For each plate, place 1/3 cup of Spanish Rice in center of plate, and using a spoon, spread the rice to even out. Then add 1/3 cup of Black Bean Corn Salsa on top of the rice, also spreading to even out.
- Place a 4 oz. grilled chicken breast in the center on top of the salsa. Top with a few pieces of the Lime-Chipotle Glazed Shrimp.
- Using a half of an avocado, fan out the slices over the shrimp. Drizzle the White Queso Sauce over the entire dish, then sprinkle with cilantro.
- Repeat with remaining plates. Serve immediately.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados