Typically when you make frosting you add in a couple sticks of butter. But if you take out those couple sticks of butter and add in a couple avocados, you are left with a saturated fat and cholesterol free frosting. Say what?! And to top it off, thanks to a 1/4 of an avocado in each cookie sandwich, this dessert is brimming with good fats, vitamins and nutrients (to name a few…vitamin K, folate, vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium, niacin and riboflavin).
Chocolate Avocado Frosting Stuffed Cookie Sandwiches
Additional nutritional information: Calcium: 62 mg; Iron: 2.4 mg
Nutrition information is per cookie sandwich.
IngredientsChocolate Avocado Frosting 2 medium California Avocados, ripe 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon honey 1 tsp. vanilla extract 1/2 tsp. almond extract For Pistachio Almond Cookies 1 cup almond flour 1 cup oat flour, gently packed 3 Tbsp. white sugar 1/2 tsp. baking powder 1/4 tsp. salt 1/4 cup pistachios, whole & halved 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted 2 Tbsp. honey 1/4 tsp. almond extract 1 egg 1/4 cup pistachios to coat cookie sandwich, roughly chopped
To make Chocolate Avocado Frosting:
- Scoop out the avocado flesh into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Use the whisk attachment mix until there are no lumps left.
- Add in cocoa powder, honey, vanilla extract and almond extract.
- Mix until smooth. Cover and place in the fridge while you make the cookies.
For Pistachio Almond Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, oat flour, white sugar, baking powder, salt and pistachios.
- Add in coconut oil, honey, almond extract and an egg.
- Mix until a dough is formed.
- Roll dough into 16 cookies.
- Use your hand or the bottom of a large cup to press the ball of dough into a flat, thin cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- Divide chocolate avocado frosting between 8 cookies.
- Top the frosting with the remaining 8 cookies to make the cookie sandwiches.
- Carefully roll the sides of the cookie sandwich in pistachios so that the nuts stick to the frosting.
- Place cookie sandwiches in the freezer until frosting hardens (about 4 hours, or overnight).
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados