Typically when you make frosting you add in a couple sticks of butter. But if you take out those couple sticks of butter and add in a couple avocados, you are left with a saturated fat and cholesterol free frosting. Say what?! And to top it off, thanks to a 1/4 of an avocado in each cookie sandwich, this dessert is brimming with good fats, vitamins and nutrients (to name a few…vitamin K, folate, vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium, niacin and riboflavin).
Chocolate Avocado Frosting Stuffed Cookie Sandwiches
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|Chocolate Avocado Frosting|
|2||medium California Avocados, ripe|
|1/2||cup||unsweetened cocoa powder|
|1/3||cup||+ 1 tablespoon honey|
|For Pistachio Almond Cookies|
|1||cup||oat flour, gently packed|
|1/4||cup||pistachios, whole & halved|
|1/4||cup||coconut oil, melted|
|1/4||cup||pistachios to coat cookie sandwich, roughly chopped|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
To make Chocolate Avocado Frosting:
- Scoop out the avocado flesh into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Use the whisk attachment mix until there are no lumps left.
- Add in cocoa powder, honey, vanilla extract and almond extract.
- Mix until smooth. Cover and place in the fridge while you make the cookies.
For Pistachio Almond Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, oat flour, white sugar, baking powder, salt and pistachios.
- Add in coconut oil, honey, almond extract and an egg.
- Mix until a dough is formed.
- Roll dough into 16 cookies.
- Use your hand or the bottom of a large cup to press the ball of dough into a flat, thin cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- Divide chocolate avocado frosting between 8 cookies.
- Top the frosting with the remaining 8 cookies to make the cookie sandwiches.
- Carefully roll the sides of the cookie sandwich in pistachios so that the nuts stick to the frosting.
- Place cookie sandwiches in the freezer until frosting hardens (about 4 hours, or overnight).
Additional nutritional information: Calcium: 62 mg; Iron: 2.4 mg
Nutrition information is per cookie sandwich.