Recipe created by chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger for the California Avocado Commission.
Cilantro Chicken with California Avocado and Pickled Tomato Salsa
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|4||(6 oz.) boneless chicken thighs or breasts, with skin|
|As needed||Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste|
|1/4||cup||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1/4||cup||freshly squeezed lime juice|
|1||bunch cilantro leaves, chopped|
|Pickled Tomato Salsa (see make-ahead recipe below)|
|2||ripe Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and cut in 1/2-inch dice|
|2||cups||cooked brown basmati rice|
|Pickled Tomato Salsa|
|1||lb.||tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut in quarters|
|1/2||bunch scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced|
|2||Serrano chiles, with seeds, thinly sliced in rounds|
|2 1/2||Tbsp.||brown sugar|
|4||tsp.||freshly grated ginger|
|2||tsp.||yellow mustard seeds|
|2||tsp.||cracked black peppercorns|
|1/2||cup||Extra virgin olive oil|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- In a shallow, non-reactive dish, season chicken on all sides with salt and pepper. Combine olive oil, lime juice, cilantro and cumin in a small bowl. Brush mixture on scallions and pour remainder over chicken, tossing to evenly coat. Allow to marinate at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat broiler or grill. Beginning with skin side toward the heat source, broil or grill chicken until just cooked through, about 12 minutes per side for thighs and about 9 minutes per side for breasts. Grill or broil scallions about 2 minutes per side.
- Toss Pickled Tomato Salsa with diced avocados and reserve until chicken is cooked.
- To serve, arrange grilled chicken over a bed of basmati rice. Mound avocado salsa mixture on top of chicken. Garnish with grilled scallions. Serve immediately.
Pickled Tomato Salsa
- In a large bowl, toss tomatoes with scallions and chiles.
- In a medium saucepan, bring vinegar to a boil. Add brown sugar and salt, and cook until dissolved, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and reserve.
- Measure ginger, garlic, mustard seeds, cracked peppercorns, cumin, cayenne and turmeric onto a plate and place near stove. In another medium saucepan, heat oil over moderate heat until just smoking. Add spices and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until aromas are released, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar mixture. Immediately pour over reserved tomato mixture. Stir to combine, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours or several days.
- Before serving, remove tomatoes from juices, roughly chop, and return to pickling liquid.Note: To peel tomatoes, remove the cores and score an X on the underside. Blanch for 15 seconds in boiling water and immediately plunge into iced water to prevent continued cooking. Peel with a paring knife.
Pickled Tomato Salsa may be made up to 3 days in advance and reserved until ready to use.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.