Crisp California Avocado Lobster Rolls
Ingredients1 lb. California avocado, diced 2 cups coarsely chopped cooked lobster meat* 3 Tbsp. finely chopped sun-dried tomato (packed in olive oil) 3 Tbsp. Finely chopped shallot 1 1/2 Tbsp. finely chopped garlic 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice 1/2 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 1 egg, beaten 12 egg roll wrappers As needed Olive oil - as needed As needed Dipping Sauce (recipe follows) As needed lime slices - for garnish, optional As needed cilantro sprigs - for garnish, optional *Coarsely chopped, poached sea scallops can be substituted for lobster meat.
- Gently fold together avocado and next 7 ingredients; reserve.
- Brush edges of 1 egg roll wrapper with egg. Put a scant 1/3 cup filling 1 inch down the edge of the wrapper. Fold in sides; brush sides with egg. Roll. Seal tightly.
- Refrigerate on a parchment-lined sheet pan dusted with cornstarch, covered, for at least 45 minutes. Rolls can be made up to 8 hours ahead of service.
- Shallow fry 1 roll in hot olive oil, turning frequently, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Serve with 3 tablespoons dipping sauce; garnish with lime slices and cilantro sprigs.
- In a blender, combine 4 ounces peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped Roma tomatoes, 3/4 cup chopped cilantro, 2/3 cup rice vinegar, 2/3 cup soy sauce, 2/3 cup fresh lime juice, 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic and 1-1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger; puree. With machine running, drizzle in 1/2 cup olive oil. Reserve. Yield: 3 Cups.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados