Crispy Fried Oyster Appetizer with California Avocados
Ingredients3 Pacific Oysters, medium-sized 1/4 cup flour 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs 1 egg, beaten As needed vegetable oil for frying 6 thin mango slices 1/4 oz. napa cabbage, chiffonade 1/4 oz. red cabbage, chiffonade 1 Tbsp. Creamy Cilantro Dressing (recipe follows) 1 Tbsp. Kimchi Vinaigrette (recipe follows) 1/4 Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded, diced As needed Micro greens for garnish Creamy Cilantro Dressing (Yield: 1/4 cup) 2 oz. sour cream 1 tsp. cider vinegar 1 tsp. half and half 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro As needed Salt and pepper to taste Kimchi Vinaigrette (Yield: 1/2 cup) 1 Tbsp. kimchi 1 Tbsp. kimchi seasoning 2 tsp. Korean chili paste 1/2 tsp. minced garlic 1 green onion, finely chopped 1 tsp. minced cilantro 3 Tbsp. rice vinegar 1 1/2 Tbsp. canola oil 1 1/2 Tbsp. sesame oil 3/4 tsp. fish sauce As needed sugar to taste
Creamy Cilantro Dressing:
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Place all ingredients except green onion and cilantro in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add sugar as needed. Mix in cilantro and green onion.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or a deep, heavy pot on the stove to 350°F.
- After shucking oysters, drain in a colander. Dip each oyster in flour, shaking off excess, then dip into egg, then panko.
- Gently place the oysters in the hot oil and fry for 1-3 minutes, until golden. Remove oysters and let drain on a paper towel lined tray.
- On a plate, arrange the mango slices in a star pattern from the middle of the plate fanning out.
- Mix cabbages together in a bowl with 1 Tbsp. of creamy cilantro dressing and salt and pepper. Place this mixture in the center of the mango star.
- Place oysters around the cabbage forming a point in the middle. Drizzle 1 Tbsp. Kimchi Vinaigrette around the oysters and on the mango. Add the diced avocado around the plate and top the oysters with micro greens. Serve.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados