Crispy Fried Oyster Appetizer with California Avocados
|3||Pacific Oysters, medium-sized|
|As needed||vegetable oil for frying|
|6||thin mango slices|
|1/4||oz.||napa cabbage, chiffonade|
|1/4||oz.||red cabbage, chiffonade|
|1||Tbsp.||Creamy Cilantro Dressing (recipe follows)|
|1||Tbsp.||Kimchi Vinaigrette (recipe follows)|
|1/4||Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded, diced|
|As needed||Micro greens for garnish|
|Creamy Cilantro Dressing (Yield: 1/4 cup)|
|1||tsp.||half and half|
|As needed||Salt and pepper to taste|
|Kimchi Vinaigrette (Yield: 1/2 cup)|
|2||tsp.||Korean chili paste|
|1||green onion, finely chopped|
|1 1/2||Tbsp.||canola oil|
|1 1/2||Tbsp.||sesame oil|
|As needed||sugar to taste|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
Creamy Cilantro Dressing:
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Place all ingredients except green onion and cilantro in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add sugar as needed. Mix in cilantro and green onion.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or a deep, heavy pot on the stove to 350°F.
- After shucking oysters, drain in a colander. Dip each oyster in flour, shaking off excess, then dip into egg, then panko.
- Gently place the oysters in the hot oil and fry for 1-3 minutes, until golden. Remove oysters and let drain on a paper towel lined tray.
- On a plate, arrange the mango slices in a star pattern from the middle of the plate fanning out.
- Mix cabbages together in a bowl with 1 Tbsp. of creamy cilantro dressing and salt and pepper. Place this mixture in the center of the mango star.
- Place oysters around the cabbage forming a point in the middle. Drizzle 1 Tbsp. Kimchi Vinaigrette around the oysters and on the mango. Add the diced avocado around the plate and top the oysters with micro greens. Serve.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.