Fresh California Avocado Scones
Ingredients3 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp. baking soda 2 tsp. cream of tartar 1/2 cup butter, diced 1/2 cup sugar 2 cups Fresh California Avocado, peeled, pitted and diced ** 1/4 cup milk 1/4 cup water 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°.*
- Line 2 half sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar in a medium bowl. Work butter into flour mixture using your fingers or a wire pastry cutter, until you have a sandy consistency. Add the sugar and blend thoroughly. Add in the diced avocados, mixing gently so the avocados don’t get broken up.
- Combine milk and water, then stir into the flour mixture. Pour dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead briefly, then pat dough into a 10 inch by 8 inch rectangle. Cut dough rectangle in half, and cut each half into 8 rectangles, forming 16 scones total. Arrange scones on the prepared sheet pans, spacing about two inches apart. Brush the tops of each scone with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until scones are light brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on the pans for 5-10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*If using a convection oven, reduce heat to 350°
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados