Fresh California Avocado Scones
|2||tsp.||cream of tartar|
|2||cups||Fresh California Avocado, peeled, pitted and diced **|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat oven to 400°.*
- Line 2 half sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar in a medium bowl. Work butter into flour mixture using your fingers or a wire pastry cutter, until you have a sandy consistency. Add the sugar and blend thoroughly. Add in the diced avocados, mixing gently so the avocados don’t get broken up.
- Combine milk and water, then stir into the flour mixture. Pour dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead briefly, then pat dough into a 10 inch by 8 inch rectangle. Cut dough rectangle in half, and cut each half into 8 rectangles, forming 16 scones total. Arrange scones on the prepared sheet pans, spacing about two inches apart. Brush the tops of each scone with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until scones are light brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on the pans for 5-10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*If using a convection oven, reduce heat to 350°
**Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.