Grilled California Avocado Ssam
Ingredients6 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, quartered with peel intact, seeded 1 Tbsp. canola oil 1 Tbsp. kosher salt 1 1/2 tsp. granulated sugar 1 1/2 tsp. Korean chili powder 24 butter lettuce leaves, 3-4” in length 6 cups (12 oz.) red quinoa, cooked and cooled Spicy Strawberry Ssam Sauce (recipe follows) Crunchy Almond Slaw (recipe follows) Lime wedges, for garnish Spicy Strawberry Ssam Sauce (Yield: 1 cup) 2/3 cup (4 oz.) strawberries, stems removed, diced ½” 1/4 cup (1 ¼ oz.) onion, diced ½” 2 1/2 Tbsp. gochujang 4 tsp. (1 oz.) honey 4 tsp. sesame oil 2 tsp. tamari soy sauce 2 tsp. seasoned rice vinegar 2 tsp. Korean fermented soybean paste or miso paste 3/4 tsp. sesame seeds 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced 1/4 tsp. kosher salt Crunchy Almond Slaw (Yield: 4 ½ cups) 4 cups (6 oz.) Napa cabbage, sliced thin 7 Tbsp. (1 ½ oz.) sliced or slivered almonds, toasted 6 Tbsp. (1 ½ oz.) sweet red peppers, julienned 1/8” 6 Tbsp. (1 ½ oz.) Persian cucumber, julienned 1/8”x2” 1/4 cup (¾ oz.) shishito peppers, sliced 1/8” rings 6 Tbsp. (¾ oz.) green onions, sliced 1/8” 6 Tbsp. (¾ oz.) carrot, julienned 1/8”x2” 1 1/2 tsp. lime zest 1 1/2 tsp. cilantro, minced 1 Tbsp. lime juice, freshly squeezed 3/4 tsp. kosher salt 3/4 tsp. granulated sugar
Spicy Strawberry Ssam Sauce
- Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth, 1-1½ minutes. Pour into a container, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Crunchy Almond Slaw
- Place first nine ingredients in a mixing bowl. Pour lime juice over the mixture, add salt and sugar and toss to incorporate.
- Let slaw sit for at least 20 minutes before serving. Refrigerate up to 12 hours.
Assemble, per order:
- Heat grill over high heat. Whisk canola oil, salt, sugar and Korean chili powder in a bowl. Gently toss 2 avocado quarters in oil mixture until evenly coated.
- Place unpeeled avocado quarters on hot grill and cook until grill marks appear, about 1 ½ minutes on each cut side. Remove from grill.
- Place 2 butter lettuce leaves on plate. Place ¼ cup quinoa on each leaf, and drizzle with 2 tsp. of Spicy Strawberry Ssam Sauce.
- Peel grilled avocado quarters and place one quarter on top of each lettuce cup, grill side up. Mound ¼ cup of Crunchy Almond Slaw around each avocado quarter. Serve with 1 oz. Spicy Strawberry Ssam Sauce and lime wedges.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados