Serve up an appetizing twist with these California Avocado-stuffed fritters topped with an Aji Amarillo Aioli.
Crunchy California Avocado Fritters
Total Time: 21 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 732 IU; Vitamin C 12 mg; Calcium 41 mg; Iron 1.5 mg; Vitamin D 10 IU; Folate 57 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 1.3 g
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 71%; Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 4%; Iron 8%
Ingredients2/3 cup white or black quinoa, rinsed and well drained (if necessary) 1 1/3 cups water 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 1/4 cup grated Cotija cheese 3/4 tsp. salt 4 green onions, white and light green parts only, finely chopped 1/2 bunch Italian parsley 1 egg 1 egg yolk 3/4 cup canola or grape seed oil, for frying 1 ripe, fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch dice As needed Salt, to taste As needed Ground black pepper to taste 1 cup Aji Amarillo Aioli (see make-ahead recipe below), for serving Aji Amarillo Aioli 1 cup mayonnaise 1 lime, juiced 1/2 tsp. salt 2 Tbsp. aji amarillo chile paste 1 Tbsp. finely chopped Italian parsley
- Place a small, dry saucepan over high heat. Add quinoa and toast for about 5 minutes, shaking and stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Transfer to a large saucepan and add water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, flour, cheese and salt. Add onions, parsley, egg and yolk. Stir thoroughly with a spoon until the mixture has the consistency of soft dough. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- In a small mixing bowl, season avocado with salt and pepper to taste and toss gently to coat.
- Using hands, create round fritters about the size of a walnut shell with a piece of avocado in the center of each fritter.
- Working in batches, gently slide fritters into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes, turning as necessary. Drain on paper towels and serve warm, topped with Aji Amarillo Aioli.
Aja Amarillo Aioli
- Combine ingredients in small bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Yields: About 24 fritters
Note: If cotija cheese is not available, parmesan cheese can be substituted
Copyright © 2012, Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, www.bordergrill.com.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados