Grilled Romaine with Boquerones and California Avocado
Ingredients1 Fresh California Avocado 1 head of romaine, washed and dried Pickled Red Onions (recipe follows) Lemon Vinaigrette (recipe follows) 1/2 oz. shaved Manchego cheese 6 boquerones (marinated white anchovies) 2 tsp. olive oil Salt and pepper to taste Pickled Red Onions (Yield: 1 cup onions) 9 oz. (1 medium) red onion, thinly sliced 1 cup fresh lime juice 1 cup fresh orange juice 1/2 cup sweet white wine 2 tsp. granulated sugar 3 Tbsp. kosher salt 1 jalapeno pepper, halved lengthwise, seeded, very thinly sliced Lemon Vinaigrette (Yield: 1-1/8 cup/9 oz.) 3/4 cup olive oil 1/4 cup lemon juice 1 Tbsp. yuzu juice 1 tsp. lemon zest Salt and pepper
Pickled Red Onions:
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add onions and blanch for 15 seconds. Drain well and set aside.
- Combine lime juice, orange juice, white wine, sugar and salt in a large non-reactive bowl, and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add blanched onion slices and jalapeno and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- Cut avocado in half and remove seed. Peel each half and cut in half again. Cut each quarter into three slices (12 slices in all).
- Heat a grill to 400°. Cut the head of romaine in half lengthwise. Lightly oil romaine and season with salt and pepper. Place romaine cut side down on the hot grill.
- After two minutes, rotate the romaine 90° so the grill marks are crosshatched. After 2-3 minutes, flip each romaine half and grill for an additional minute.
- Remove romaine from grill and place in a bowl. Toss with lemon vinaigrette and the avocado slices. Place on a platter and top with shaved Manchego cheese, pickled red onions and the boquerones. Serve.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados