Grilled Romaine with Boquerones and California Avocado
|1||Fresh California Avocado|
|1||head of romaine, washed and dried|
|Pickled Red Onions (recipe follows)|
|Lemon Vinaigrette (recipe follows)|
|1/2||oz.||shaved Manchego cheese|
|6||boquerones (marinated white anchovies)|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
|Pickled Red Onions (Yield: 1 cup onions)|
|9||oz.||(1 medium) red onion, thinly sliced|
|1||cup||fresh lime juice|
|1||cup||fresh orange juice|
|1/2||cup||sweet white wine|
|1||jalapeno pepper, halved lengthwise, seeded, very thinly sliced|
|Lemon Vinaigrette (Yield: 1-1/8 cup/9 oz.)|
|Salt and pepper|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
Pickled Red Onions:
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add onions and blanch for 15 seconds. Drain well and set aside.
- Combine lime juice, orange juice, white wine, sugar and salt in a large non-reactive bowl, and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add blanched onion slices and jalapeno and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- Cut avocado in half and remove seed. Peel each half and cut in half again. Cut each quarter into three slices (12 slices in all).
- Heat a grill to 400°. Cut the head of romaine in half lengthwise. Lightly oil romaine and season with salt and pepper. Place romaine cut side down on the hot grill.
- After two minutes, rotate the romaine 90° so the grill marks are crosshatched. After 2-3 minutes, flip each romaine half and grill for an additional minute.
- Remove romaine from grill and place in a bowl. Toss with lemon vinaigrette and the avocado slices. Place on a platter and top with shaved Manchego cheese, pickled red onions and the boquerones. Serve.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.