These rich fudgy brownies are hiding a secret, we’ve replaced half of the butter with avocado and there’s no flour to speak of. Chocolate lovers will enjoy this dessert plain or with my Avocado Pistachio Ice Cream. By replacing half the butter with avocado, we have reduced the fat, calories, sodium and cholesterol while adding the nutritional benefits of the avocado. These brownies provide 20% DV Iron and 18% DV Dietary Fiber.
Heart Shaped California Avocado Brownies
Total Time: 30 min
Vitamin A 239 IU; Vitamin C 1.5 mg; Calcium 36 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 13 IU; Folate 22 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.06 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 4%; Iron 20 %.
Ingredients3 Tbsp. butter 8 oz. dark chocolate (70% or darker) cut into squares 1 cup coconut palm sugar 2 Eggs 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and mashed 1 Tbsp. tapioca starch 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder (unsweetened) 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8” x 8” pan and line with parchment paper.
- Set a heat proof bowl over a pan of boiling water so that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Melt the butter over medium heat then add the chocolate, stirring occasionally to mix. Add the coconut palm sugar and cook for three minutes, stirring to combine.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, beat the chocolate mixture on medium for 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time beating for at least one minute between additions. Add the avocado and continue beating for 3 minutes, until smooth.
- Whisk together tapioca, cocoa powder, and salt. Add one half dry ingredients to the mixer and run for 2 minutes, add the second half and mix until completely smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool before removing from pan and use cookie cutter to create heart shapes.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with Avocado Pistachio Ice Cream
Beverage Pairing: Dry sparkling wine
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados