The crisp and sweet grapefruit beautifully contrast the creamy California Avocados in this hearty but refreshing recipe. In addition to great taste, this recipe is packed with an excellent source of fiber (43% DV) and vitamin C (80% DV), an antioxidant that may contribute to healthy immune function.
California Avocado, Hearts of Palm and Grapefruit Salad with Seared White Fish
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|4||white fish fillets, (4-oz.)|
|1||tsp.||white wine vinegar|
|1/2||tsp.||salt, divided, or to taste|
|1/2||tsp.||freshly ground pepper, divided, or to taste|
|2||Tbsp.||vegetable or light-tasting olive oil|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled|
|1||can||hearts of palm, (14-oz.), drained and cut into rings|
|2||large Ruby Red grapefruits, peeled, white pith removed|
|4||sprigs||cilantro, roughly chopped, plus additional sprigs for garnish|
|6||Tbsp.||extra virgin olive oil, divided|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Remove fish from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- To create lime vinaigrette, pour lime juice, vinegar, shallot, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper in a bowl and stir until salt is dissolved. Whisk in the vegetable oil to incorporate, taste to adjust seasonings and set aside.
- Quarter the avocado, then cut into smaller chunks.
- In a separate bowl, mix hearts of palm, grapefruit, cilantro, 1/8 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. pepper and 4 Tbsp. olive oil. Add avocado chunks and gently stir until combined. Set aside.
- On low heat, heat a heavy pan (cast iron or carbon steel); add remaining olive oil.
- While oil is heating, season the fish on both sides with remaining salt and pepper or to preference.
- Once heated, set the fish in the pan, reducing the temperature if the fish begins to burn. After approximately 5-7 minutes, flip then sear the other side, about 2 minutes. (NOTE: The fish will become opaque as it cooks and begin to crisp on the edges as it cooks from the bottom up. If you notice the fish sticking when trying to flip, wait another minute or two until it releases from the pan.)
- Drizzle lime vinaigrette over the avocado and grapefruit mixture to create a salad.
- Place some of the salad on plates and top with seared fish. Spoon remaining salad over the fish and garnish with additional cilantro sprigs.
- Serve warm.
Vitamin A 59 mcg; Vitamin C 74 mg; Calcium 105 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 5 mcg; Folate 157 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.93 g