2012 California Avocado “All American Recipe Contest” Second Prize Winner! This refreshing take on Guacamole is a big hit at parties! In this recipe you don’t crush the avacados, rather you dice them in the shells before scooping them into the dish!
Jerry’s Chunky Guacamole
Ingredients3 perfectly ripe California avocados (Should give a little when you squeeze gently) 2 small vine ripe tomatoes 1 bunch scallions (spring onions), sliced 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro 1/2 lime, juiced (or to taste) 1 up to 1 table spoon of Hot Green Salsa or if not available use 3 slices of pickled jalapeño peppers finely chopped. Discard seeds! (Use from a jar) 2 pinches coarse salt Coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- Cut the tomatoes in quarters. Remove inside pulp and seeds and discard. Finely dice the reserved tomatoes and drain before adding to a medium sized non-reactive mixing bowl.
- Add finely chopped scallions. (Use about half of the green part as well as the white part.)
- Add chopped cilantro.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove seeds. Then cut cris-crosses about 1/8 to1/4 inch apart while still inside the skin. When you scoop the avocado from the shells with a big spoon the avocados are already diced.
- Gently stir in lime juice, Salsa or jalapeños, salt and ground black pepper. Mix well but do not mash the avocados.
- Cover with cling wrap and push the wrap directly down onto the guacamole to prevent oxidation browning and chill for 6-8 hours before serving.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados