This recipe is family friendly and perfect for a quick dinner if you’re having a busy weeknight while having the bonus of providing more than 100% DV of vitamin K (440% DV), protein (120% DV), and 100% DV vitamins D, B1 and B12!
Mahi Mahi Kebobs with California Avocado Pesto and Herbs
Total Time: 25 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 291 mcg; Vitamin C 58 mg; Calcium 388 mg; Iron 7 mg; Vitamin D 19 mcg; Folate 192 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 1.98 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 30%; Vitamin C 60%; Calcium 30%; Iron 40 %; Vitamin D 100%
IngredientsAvocado Pesto 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped 1 1/2 cups parsley or kale 1 1/2 cups basil 1/2 cup pine nuts Zest of 1 lemon 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil 1/2 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled, diced 1/8 tsp. sea salt, to taste 1/8 tsp. pepper, to taste Mahi Mahi Kebobs 2 cups plain yogurt 1/2 cup and 1 Tbsp. olive oil per 4 servings 1 tsp. sea salt, to taste 1 tsp. pepper, to taste 1 1/2 lb. mahi mahi, cubed 1 1/2 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled, thinly sliced 4 pieces whole wheat or plain pita or flatbread 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved 5 small radishes, thinly sliced 1 cup basil or mint leaves
- Combine garlic, parsley, basil, pine nuts, lemon zest, parmesan and olive oil in a blender and pulse to make a thick paste, adding to 2 Tbsp. of olive oil at a time to keep it moving.
- Add the avocado and pulse more to combine, but not to make the pesto completely smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon into a container to use right away or seal off with a bit of olive oil on top to preserve. Cover and refrigerate up to 5 days.
Mahi Mahi Kebobs
- Stir together the yogurt and 1/2 cup olive oil until combined. Divide in half, seasoning with salt, to taste, and setting the remaining half aside for garnish.
- Toss the fish in the seasoned yogurt mixture and season more with salt and pepper, to taste. Add fish onto skewers and set aside while you prepare the grill by oiling it generously.
- Season the vegetables with salt and pepper, set aside while grilling the fish.
- Grill the fish on the hot grill until the fish releases easily from the grill grates, about 3 or 4 minutes per side. Flip and continue cooking.
- Toast the pita or flatbread on the grill until lightly toasted on each side.
- Serve the flatbread, topped with the remaining yogurt mixture, grilled kebabs, vegetables, and avocado pesto.
- Scatter the herbs all over the top, seasoning with more salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with additional olive oil, if desired.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with more pesto and additional bread for a side.
Beverage Pairing: Pair with a crisp white wine, like a Pinot Grigio.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados