This is not your ordinary flatbread – the grilled dough and California Avocados create a smoky taste and texture that balances against the sour pickled shallots and creamy herbed hummus-like spread. Nutritionally, this recipe is a good source and excellent source of antioxidant vitamins A (10% DV), C (20% DV), and E (20% DV).
Grilled Flatbread with an Avocado Spread, Carrots and Pickled Shallots
Total Time: 2 h
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 101 mcg; Vitamin C 18 mg; Calcium 69 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 81 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.21 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 6%; Iron 10%; Vitamin D 0%
Ingredients1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus up to 1/4 cup as needed to roll dough 1/2 cup traditional plain yogurt 1 1/2 tsp. yeast 1/2 cup milk 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided 1/2 cup chopped whole carrots 1/4 cup water 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided 1 Tbsp. coriander seeds 1/2 Tbsp. fennel seeds 1 tsp. black peppercorns 1/4 tsp. chili flakes 2 sprigs thyme 1 1/4 cups red wine vinegar 3/4 cup sugar 3 shallots, peeled and sliced thinly 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and halved 1 cup Herbed California Avocado Spread (see make ahead recipe below) 1 tsp. black sesame seeds 1 tsp. sea salt flakes Herbed California Avocado Spread Yields: 2 ½ cups 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and halved 3 carrot tops, leaves only 2 Tbsp. cilantro stems 1/2 lime, juiced 1/2 small lemon, juiced 1 Tbsp. tahini 1/2 tsp. cumin, toasted 2 Tbsp. water 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, or to taste
- For flatbread, use a dough hook to mix flour, yogurt, yeast, milk and 1/2 tsp. salt for 5 minutes.
- Let rest and double in size, about 1 hour.
- Flour a flat surface; divide dough into 8 balls, the roll each ball evenly into circles about 1/8-inch thick. NOTE: If dough is sticky, knead in up to 1/4 cup flour.
- Set aside until ready to grill.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place chopped carrots in a deep roasting pan with water, remaining salt and half the oil, cover with foil and roast at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, then set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine coriander seeds, fennel seeds, peppercorns, chili flakes, thyme, red wine vinegar and sugar. Bring all ingredients to a boil, about 10 minutes, then strain liquid over shallots and set aside.
- Preheat charcoal grill for up to 10 minutes, set gas grill to 350 degrees F, or preheat skillet on medium heat.
- Spread half the remaining oil on both sides of the flatbread circles and place on grill for 2 minutes on each side, then let rest.
- Cut avocado halves into four equal slices each, then brush remaining oil equally on each slice. Place on grill for about 2 minutes, or until each side is slightly charred. NOTE: Keep grilling until you can see visible grill marks on each slice.
- Spread Herbed California Avocado Spread evenly across flatbread, layer on roasted carrots, grilled avocado slices and top with drained pickled shallots, black sesame seeds and sea salt flakes.
Herbed California Avocado Spread Instructions:
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Season with salt to taste and set aside until ready to use.
Serving Suggestion: Before serving, splash with a dash of lemon juice for an added zest.
Beverage Pairing: Consider pairing this with a cold, refreshing glass of iced tea.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados