Whether you’re living la vida Paleo or simply trying to reduce your intake of white flour and sugar, this dark chocolate cake is simply sublime. Even the most serious chocolate lover will be satisfied with this not-too-sweet cake that provides almost half your Vitamin E DV (40% DV) and 33% DV Dietary Fiber.
Paleo Chocolate Avocado Cake
Total Time: 50 min
Vitamin A 191 IU; Vitamin C 3 mg; Calcium 116 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 21 IU; Folate 47 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.07 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 6%; Calcium 10%; Iron 20%
Ingredients2/3 cup cocoa powder 1/2 cup boiling water 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract 2 cups finely ground almond flour 1/2 tsp. baking soda 1/4 tsp. salt 1/2 cup dark honey 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar 2 ripe, medium Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and mashed 4 large eggs 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, pour boiling water and vanilla extract onto cocoa powder and whisk to combine- it should be like a slightly runny paste.
- In a large bowl, sift almond flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add honey, coconut sugar, and avocados to the bowl of a food processor. Process until the avocado mixture is smooth and pale green.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the food processor and blend until well-combined.
- Whisk the eggs and add them to the food processor, pulse 3-5 times to incorporate into the mixture.
- Gently fold the chocolate avocado mixture into the dry ingredients, adding chocolate chips if you’re using them.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. The cake will be a bit jiggly. Cool the cake for at least 20 minutes before removing from the pan.
Serving Suggestion: Top with a dollop of coconut whipped cream.
Beverage Pairing: Coffee, tea or a glass of low-fat milk.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados