A runner up in the 2021 California Avocado Recipe Contest, this sauteed street corn recipe includes zucchini, mushrooms and creamy California Avocados. It’s a delicious side dish.
Pan Fried Street Corn with California Avocado
Total Time: 25 min
Prep Time: |
Ingredients2 Tbsp. olive oil (or may use butter or margarine) 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (or 12 oz. pack frozen corn) 1 medium zucchini, sliced, quartered 1 cup fresh mushrooms, halved and sliced 1/4 tsp. sea salt, divided 1/8 cup grated Parmesan cheesee, or to taste 1 large ripe, Fresh California Avocado, quartered, seeded and peeled
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and add corn.
- Fry uncovered on med/high heat (for frozen corn, until water is evaporated. Stir occasionally but lightly as corn begins to brown (usually begins browning after 2 minutes for fresh corn and 10 minutes for frozen corn).
- Stir in half of the salt.
- When corn is browned to your liking, mix in zucchini, mushrooms and remaining oil, cover and lower heat to simmer for approximately 8 minutes (or until zucchini and mushrooms are cooked to your liking). Stir lightly twice during the simmer period.
- Remove from heat, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese to taste (like “street corn”).
- Dice three-quarters of the avocado and lightly fold into the corn mixture. Fan-slice the remaining avocado and fan out the slices on top of the corn to garnish. Sprinkle with remaining salt and serve.
Serving Suggestion: Serve as a side to taquitos, chicken or bbq or atop tortilla chips for Street Corn Nachos.
Beverage Pairing: Glass of beer, chardonnay or margarita.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados