Plantain-California Avocado Rolls with Garden Cabbage Salad
Ingredients4 oz. ripe plantains, coarsely chopped 1/2 Fresh California Avocado*, peeled, seeded, cut into 4 wedges 4 spring roll wrappers** or egg roll wrappers 1 tsp. Extra virgin olive oil As needed Garden Cabbage Salad (recipe follows) As needed Mango chutney Garden Cabbage Salad (Yield: 1 cup) 2 cups green cabbage, finely shredded 1 cup red cabbage, finely shredded 1/2 cup carrots, fine julienne 1/4 cup chayote, julienne 1 Tbsp. Roma tomato, 1/4" dice 1 Tbsp. red bell pepper, fine julienne 1 tsp. Extra virgin olive oil 4 tsp. rice wine vinegar As needed Salt and pepper, to taste
Garden Cabbage Salad:
- Combine the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the oil and vinegar, adding salt and pepper to taste. Pour the dressing over the salad, toss well.
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Lay wrapper with corner pointing toward you on a clean surface. Place ¼ cup of plantain and 1 avocado wedge in the center of each wrapper. Fold bottom over filling. Fold both sides in toward filling, then continue rolling, sealing last corner with oil.
- Place rolls on a baking sheet seam side down and bake for 8-10 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve each roll with ¼ cup of the Garden Cabbage Salad and mango chutney.
*A large Fresh California Avocado weighs about 8 oz.
** If using the spring roll wrappers, soften in warm water.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados