Almost every restaurant I go to has quesadillas listed on the appetizer or kids menu and normally, the only option is cheese grilled between a folded flour tortilla.
I am on a mission to teach the world how quick and easy quesadillas can be made at home and turned into a well-balanced meal.
Quesadillas have a lot of benefits:
- They are faster and easier to make than grilled cheese
- They require less cooking time
- There are a million and one combinations you can come up with, especially when avocados are involved!
Shhhh…. they are also a great way to sneak in more nutritious fillings for the little ones. There is no rule that says we are limited to cheese!
Traditionally quesadillas are made on large tortillas with cheese and flipped on the grill but I’m here to tell you there is no “right” way to make one. You can use flour or corn tortillas, large or small, white or wheat. It all works!
Quick and Easy Chicken Avocado Quesadilla
This super quick quesadilla idea uses pre-cooked chicken and grated cheese to make a fast, well balanced meal. If you happen to have some lime juice and ground cumin on hand it’s the perfect way to dress up the avocado for more flavor but truth be told, you could make this quick dish with just the tortillas, avocado, cheese and chicken. Everything else is just a bonus!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1-2 minutes
Total time: 6-7 minutes
½ ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded and peeled
Pinch of salt
Dash of ground cumin
Splash of lime juice
2 corn tortillas
1 oz. Colby-Jack cheese, grated
2 oz. pre-cooked chicken breast
- Heat a griddle or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Mash the avocado with a pinch of salt, cumin and splash of lime juice. Set aside.
- Lay one of the tortillas on the skillet. Top with cheese and chicken. While it cooks, smear the mashed avocado mixture onto the other tortilla.
- Place the second tortilla, avocado side down, on top of the chicken and cheese. Press gently with a spatula then slide the spatula underneath and flip. Continue to cook until the second tortilla begins to brown and the cheese is all melted, approximately 1-2 minutes.