This Quinoa Avocado Sushi Roll would make a fantastic appetizer for a date night at home, or a delicious lightened-up lunch. You can even impress your friends with your newly learned sushi rolling skills. Whatever you put into your sushi creation, just don’t forget to add some tasty California Avocados!
Quinoa Avocado Sushi Rolls
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|3||sheets of nori (sushi paper)|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced|
|1/2||cup||sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained|
|3||strips of crispy cooked bacon|
|Spicy Mayo, (see make-ahead recipe below)|
|2||Tbsp.||Japanese mayonnaise, as needed|
|2||tsp.||sriracha hot sauce|
|Dash of sesame oil, as needed|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Wash the quinoa in cool water to remove any residue. Place quinoa and water in a small sauce pan. Set to high heat, stirring occasionally until it reaches a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and let cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan combine the vinegar, sugar and salt over low heat. Stir constantly until the sugar and salt are dissolved, then remove from heat and cool. Once the quinoa is cooked use a wooden spoon to scoop it into a plastic or wooden bowl (do not use a metal bowl, it does not react well to the vinegar). Pour the vinegar mixture over the quinoa and gently fold it in. Let the quinoa cool to room temperature.
- Place a bamboo rolling mat on a flat surface, lay a sheet of plastic wrap on top, then a sheet of nori on top of that.
- Use the back of the wooden spoon to carefully spread the cooled quinoa evenly over the nori (about a 1/4-inch thick). Leave about 1/4-inch of the nori uncovered at the end furthest from you.
- Place two to three pieces of avocado on top of the quinoa (the side closest to you), followed by a few pieces of sun dried tomato, then top with the crispy bacon.
- Lift the end of the mat, and gently roll it over the ingredients, pressing gently. Roll it forward to make a complete roll. Carefully remove the roll from the plastic wrap and bamboo rolling mat. Use a sharp knife to inch 1-inch rounds.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Drizzle with Spicy Mayo and serve immediately.
Spicy Mayo Instructions
- Combine the Japanese mayonnaise, sriracha, and oil in a small bowl. Whisk until combined, then drizzle over prepared sushi rolls, or serve on the side as a dip.
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © 2013, Shawn Syphus
Vitamin A 377 IU; Vitamin C 14 mg; Calcium 27 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 2 IU; Folate 87 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.38 g
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 22%; Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 2%; Iron 10%