This salad is perfect to offer on a buffet, as an appetizer or vegetarian option, or as a simple healthy meal at home. The acid from the citrus, tomatoes and vinaigrette combined with nutty quinoa and the creamy grilled avocado is a perfect balance for a warm summer meal.
Quinoa, Tomato, Cucumber, Orange, Parsley and Mint in a California Avocado Half
Total Time: 45 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 452 IU; Vitamin C 16 mg; Calcium 29 mg; Iron 1.4 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 101 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.1 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 2%; Iron 8%
Ingredients1/2 cup quinoa 1 smashed garlic clove 2 Tbsp. lemon juice 1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil 1 Tbsp. champagne vinegar As needed Salt, to taste 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil 3 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, cut in half and seeded 1/3 cup diced ripe tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes 1/3 cup peeled, seeded and sliced cucumber 1/4 cup orange segments 1/4 cup Italian parsley leaves 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves As needed Fresh black pepper, to taste
- Heat a grill.
- In a medium sauce pot of boiling water, cook the quinoa until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain in a fine sieve, rinse under cold water and leave to dry.
- Place the smashed garlic, lemon juice, vinegar and some salt in a small bowl and let sit for 30 minute to 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove the garlic and whisk in the olive oil.
- Brush the avocadoes with the oil and place on the grill, cut side down, grill until charred and remove.
- Combine mixture and all remaining ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and toss well. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Fill each avocado half with even amounts of the mixture and serve.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados