Whether you follow a vegetarian or vegan diet, or are trying to work more meatless meals into your weekly rotation, mixing in California Avocados is an easy way to make the meal even more satisfying and filling. In this vegan recipe, the “good” fats and creamy texture of the avocado combine with protein-packed chickpeas for a meal rich in nutrients and flavor.
For some springtime flavor inspiration, the avocado and chickpeas are brightened with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and the toasts are topped with thin slices of peppery radishes. If you eat with your eyes first, the colors in this avocado toast will draw you right in.
For the toast, choose a bread with a crunchy crust and soft interior. Ciabatta bread satisfies both of those requirements, but any country-style white or wheat loaf will do. If you like the flavor of sourdough bread, that would be another good option.
Using the back of a fork or a potato masher, smash the avocado and chickpeas together in a bowl. I found that a little texture in the topping was really satisfying, so left it a bit chunky. Stir in some cumin, lemon juice and salt for extra flavor. The lemon juice will help to slow the oxidation of the avocados, but I recommend serving this soon after the avocados are mashed to avoid any browning. And if you’re like me, you’ll be tempted to eat the mash straight from the bowl!
The final touch is a layer of thinly sliced radishes, which adds both a pop of color and a wonderful zestiness that livens up this simple toast. The California Avocado acts like a “nutrient booster” by helping increase the absorption of fat-soluble nutrients like vitamins A, D, K and E next to this delicious mix of springtime flavors!
SMASHED LEMON AND CHICKPEA CALIFORNIA AVOCADO TOAST RECIPE
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: N/A
Total time: 15 minutes
- 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled and seeded
- 1 (14-oz.) can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. minced flat-leaf parsley, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 8 slices ciabatta bread, lightly toasted
- 4 radishes, very thinly sliced
- In a medium bowl, smash the avocados and chickpeas with the back of a fork or a potato masher until mashed but still chunky.
- Stir in the lemon juice, parsley, cumin and salt.
- Scoop about ¼ cup of the avocado mixture on each piece of toasted ciabatta.
- Top each with a few slices of radish.
- Garnish with parsley. Serve.