Smoked Trout and California Avocado Salad “Spoons”
|As needed||Potato-Fennel Cakes (recipe follows)|
|As needed||California Avocado Salad (recipe follows)|
|16||oz.||smoked trout, shredded|
|4||oz.||crème fraiche, in a fine-tipped squirt bottle|
|2||Tbsp.||chives, cut fine|
|1||Tbsp.||fennel tops, chopped fine|
|1||California Avocado*, small dice|
|1||tsp.||Salt to taste|
|4||medium potatoes peeled, large shreds|
|4||oz.||white onion, smaller shreds|
|1||large fennel bulb, large shreds, reserve a few tops to chop and add into mixture|
|As needed||Canola spray as needed|
|California Avocado Salad|
|4||oz.||(approx. 12) fresh Key lime juice|
|4||oz.||red onion, julienned|
|2||Tbsp.||sweet piquant chile peppers, finely minced|
|1||Tbsp.||jalepeno peppers, deseeded and minced fine|
|2||Fresh California Avocados*, peeled, seeded, diced|
|1||bunch cilantro, chopped|
|1||oz.||fresh chives, roughly chopped|
|As needed||Salt to taste|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Have all ingredients ready before beginning the recipe to prevent potatoes from discoloring.
- Place corn starch, chives, chopped fennel tops, black pepper and salt in a bowl, add the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Add the shredded potato, onion, California Avocado and fennel bulb and mix well.
- Lightly grease a medium-hot griddle or skillet. From a spoon or depositer drop small amounts of batter (1-1/2″ in diamater) on hot surface to cook. Sear for 3-4 minutes each side.
- Transfer to a paper towel to drain.
California Avocado Salad
- Mix Key Lime juice, sugar, salt, onions, chile peppers and Jalapeno chiles together. Let marinate for 5-6 minutes to pickle the peppers.
- Add California Avocado, cilantro, and check salt if necessary. The avocado should remain chunky as you mix. Cover with plastic wrap (air tight) and hold.
- Heat 5 oz. of avocado oil to 250°F (but no hotter than 300°F.
- Place 1 oz. of fresh chives (rough cut) in blender, add hot oil and purée.
- Strain oil through a fine Chinois and cool in ice bath to keep green chlorophyll color and flavor.
- Add salt to taste, mix well.
- Line up 100 tasting spoons. Layer one warm potato-fennel cakes on each spoon.
- Place 1 tsp. of shredded smoked trout on top, followed by 2 tsp. California Avocado salad.
- Finish with 1/4 tsp. crème fraiche and 1 pinch (8-10 eggs) of caviar.
- Drizzle with 4-5 drops of Avocado-Chive Oil. Serve.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.