Smoked Trout and California Avocado Salad “Spoons”
IngredientsAs needed Potato-Fennel Cakes (recipe follows) As needed California Avocado Salad (recipe follows) 16 oz. smoked trout, shredded 2 oz. trout caviar 4 oz. crème fraiche, in a fine-tipped squirt bottle Potato-Fennel Cakes 4 Eggs, beaten 1/3 cup corn starch 2 Tbsp. chives, cut fine 1 Tbsp. fennel tops, chopped fine 1 California Avocado*, small dice 1/2 tsp. black pepper 1 tsp. Salt to taste 4 medium potatoes peeled, large shreds 4 oz. white onion, smaller shreds 1 large fennel bulb, large shreds, reserve a few tops to chop and add into mixture As needed Canola spray as needed California Avocado Salad 4 oz. (approx. 12) fresh Key lime juice 3 Tbsp. Turbinado sugar 1 tsp. salt 4 oz. red onion, julienned 2 Tbsp. sweet piquant chile peppers, finely minced 1 Tbsp. jalepeno peppers, deseeded and minced fine 2 Fresh California Avocados*, peeled, seeded, diced 1 bunch cilantro, chopped Avocado-Chive Oil 5 oz. avocado oil 1 oz. fresh chives, roughly chopped As needed Salt to taste
- Have all ingredients ready before beginning the recipe to prevent potatoes from discoloring.
- Place corn starch, chives, chopped fennel tops, black pepper and salt in a bowl, add the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Add the shredded potato, onion, California Avocado and fennel bulb and mix well.
- Lightly grease a medium-hot griddle or skillet. From a spoon or depositer drop small amounts of batter (1-1/2″ in diamater) on hot surface to cook. Sear for 3-4 minutes each side.
- Transfer to a paper towel to drain.
California Avocado Salad
- Mix Key Lime juice, sugar, salt, onions, chile peppers and Jalapeno chiles together. Let marinate for 5-6 minutes to pickle the peppers.
- Add California Avocado, cilantro, and check salt if necessary. The avocado should remain chunky as you mix. Cover with plastic wrap (air tight) and hold.
- Heat 5 oz. of avocado oil to 250°F (but no hotter than 300°F.
- Place 1 oz. of fresh chives (rough cut) in blender, add hot oil and purée.
- Strain oil through a fine Chinois and cool in ice bath to keep green chlorophyll color and flavor.
- Add salt to taste, mix well.
- Line up 100 tasting spoons. Layer one warm potato-fennel cakes on each spoon.
- Place 1 tsp. of shredded smoked trout on top, followed by 2 tsp. California Avocado salad.
- Finish with 1/4 tsp. crème fraiche and 1 pinch (8-10 eggs) of caviar.
- Drizzle with 4-5 drops of Avocado-Chive Oil. Serve.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados