This mouthwatering meatloaf is a twist on the meatloaf you grew up eating. This comfort food with a healthy and nutritious flair provides lean, high-quality protein along with at least one serving of vegetables. Incorporating California Avocados adds creamy flavor and nutrition to the meatloaf with fiber and good fats from the avocado. Mushrooms add a perfect finishing touch of umami flavor that makes this dish simply irresistible.
California Avocado Veggie-Packed Meatloaf
Total Time: 1 h
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 131 mcg; Vitamin C 13 mg; Calcium 42 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 67 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.16 g. % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 4%; Iron 10 %; Vitamin D 0%.
Ingredients2 (12-inch) stalks celery 2 (6-inch) carrots 1/2 medium yellow onion, peeled 8 oz. cremini or white mushrooms 1 lb. lean ground turkey, 93% lean, 7% fat 1/2 cup dry quick 1-minute oats 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt 1 tsp. ground black pepper 1 (14.5-oz.) can no salt added diced tomatoes, drained 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and cubed (1-inch) Nonstick oil spray
- Pre-heat the oven to 375ᵒ F.
- Coarsely chop the vegetables.
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, the chopped vegetables, oats, salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix the ingredients together, making sure all the ingredients are well distributed.
- Add the tomatoes and the avocados to the bowl and combine them with the meat vegetable mixture; gently mix to prevent the avocado from mashing.
- Spray a 9-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. (Or use two smaller loaf pans.)
- Spoon the meat vegetable mixture into the loaf pan and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes, then turn the oven to broil and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- When ready, carefully remove the meatloaf from the pan and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve warm.
Serving Suggestion: Serve the meatloaf with roasted potatoes, brown rice, farro or quinoa.
Beverage Pairing: Infused cucumber and mint water.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados