Fresh spinach, orange segments, peppers and red onion make a colorful base for this tasty California Avocados and Copper River Salmon salad that comes together in just 20 minutes.
Spinach Salad with Pan-Seared Salmon, Oranges, Red Onion, and Avocado
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1/4||cup||extra-virgin olive oil|
|1/2||tsp.||kosher or sea salt|
|As needed||Fresly gound pepper|
|7||cups||(about 6-oz.) lightly packed baby spinach leaves|
|1||cup||thinly sliced red onion|
|1||red bell pepper, halved lengthwise, seeded, deribbed, and cut into long, thin slices|
|2||navel oranges, peeled and white pith removed, cut into segments|
|4||Copper River salmon fillets (about 5-oz. each), skin and pin bones removed|
|As needed||Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled, and cut into 16 thin wedges|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- In a small jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper to taste. Cover tightly and shake vigorously to blend. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Set aside.
- Place the spinach, onion, and bell pepper in a large salad bowl. Put the oranges in a small bowl.
- Season the salmon on all sides with a little salt and pepper. Place a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the remaining olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the salmon, skin-side down, and cook until the skin is crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Carefully turn the salmon and cook until the fillets are almost opaque throughout, but still very moist, or an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 125 to 130 degrees F, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a warm plate and set aside while you toss the salad.
- To serve, add the orange segments to the salad bowl, give the dressing a last-minute shake, and pour over the salad. Toss gently. Arrange the salad on 4 dinner plates. Place a salmon fillet in the center, on top of the salad, garnish each salad with 4 slices of avocado, and serve immediately.