Recipe courtesy of Chef Tara Lazar, Cheeky’s, Palm Springs CA
Sweet Potato Wedges with California Avocado Chimichurri
Ingredients4 medium sweet potatoes (approximately 2 lbs.) 2 Tbsp. olive oil 1 oz. queso fresco, crumbled fine 2 tsp. smoked paprika 1/2 tsp. each sea salt and pepper California Avocado Chimichurri (recipe follows) California Avocado Chimichurri (Yield: Approximately 4-1/2 cups) 1 shallot, roughly chopped 2 green onions, roughly chopped 2 cloves garlic 1 jalapeno, stemmed and roughly chopped (optional) 1/2 cup cilantro, leaves only 1/2 cup Italian parsley, leaves only 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar 1/2 lemon, freshly squeezed 1/2 cup olive oil As needed Salt, to taste 3 Fresh California Avocados, diced
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Wash and dry sweet potatoes and cut into 2″ wedges.
- Put the wedges, paprika, salt and pepper in a large plastic bag and toss to coat.
- Arrange sweet potatoes, being careful not to overlap them, on a large rimmed baking tray. Drizzle olive oil on each wedge.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until edges are brown. Serve warm with California Avocado Chimichurri for dipping.
California Avocado Chimichurri Instructions
- In a food processor, combine the shallot, green onions, garlic and salt. Process until finely chopped. Add the jalapeno and pulse until chopped.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse until roughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, roughly mash the avocados, adding spoonfuls of the chimichurri blend until seasoned to taste.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados