Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry with California Avocados & Brown Rice
Ingredients3 Tbsp. Wok Aromatics (recipe follows) 3/4 cup Teriyaki Sauce (recipe follows) As needed Velvet Chicken (recipe follows) 4 Tbsp. expeller-pressed canola oil 6 oz. baby bok choy, 1/2" pieces 4 1/2 oz. broccoli florets, 1" pieces 4 oz. green beans, 1" pieces 3 1/2 oz. sugar snap peas, stemmed 3 oz. onion, 1/4" thick slices 2 1/2 cups brown rice, steamed 1 Fresh California Avocados*, sliced 3 Tbsp. scallion, thinly sliced 3/4 tsp. toasted sesame seeds Fresh cilantro sprigs, as needed Wok Aromatics (Yield: 1 cup) 1 1/2 oz. lemongrass, chopped 1 1/2 oz. ginger, peeled, chopped 2 oz. scallion, white part only, chopped 1/2 Tbsp. expeller-pressed canola oil, if needed 1 Tbsp. water, if needed 1 1/2 tsp. sambal oelek Teriyaki Sauce (Yield: 2 cups) 5 oz. pineapple, peeled, cored, chopped 2 oz. Fuji apple, cored, chopped 9 1/2 oz. low sodium soy sauce 3 oz. orange juice, freshly squeezed 3 1/2 oz. brown sugar 1 Tbsp. ginger, peeled, chopped 1 Tbsp. scallion, chopped Velvet Chicken (Yield: 3/4 cup) 1 organic chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into 1" cubes 1 organic egg white 1 Tbsp. cornstarch 16 oz. expeller-pressed canola oil
- Combine the lemongrass, ginger, and scallion in a food processor and grind into a smooth paste. Add the canola oil if needed to smooth mixture into a paste. If the mixture seems dry, add the water. Pour mixture into a bowl and fold in the sambal oelek.
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook until all ingredients are tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 20 minutes. Transfer mixture to a blender. Puree until smooth, transfer to bowl.
- Combine the egg white and cornstarch in a bowl. Add the chicken cubes and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large pot to 275° F. Strain the chicken cubes and add them to the hot oil.
- Cook until the cubes just begin to turn white, about 30 seconds to 1 minute, separating the pieces if needed. Remove from the oil, drain on paper towels.
- Heat a wok or sauté pan over medium high heat. Add 1-2 Tbsp. of the canola oil.
- Working in 3 batches, add ¼ cup of the chicken cubes and cook until golden brown. Add 1 Tbsp. of the wok aromatics, 1 cup of baby bok choy, 2/3 cup broccoli florets, 1/3 cup green beans, 1/3 cup sugar snap peas, ¼ cup onion and cook until vegetables are al dente and chicken is cooked through. Add ¼ cup of Teriyaki Sauce and reduce slightly.
- Transfer to a bowl and repeat two more times, wiping out the wok/pan in between batches.
- Divide rice among serving plates, top with equal portions of the Teriyaki chicken stir fry. Garnish each plate with sliced Fresh California Avocado, sesame seeds, scallions, and a sprig of cilantro.
* A large Fresh California Avocado weighs about 8 oz.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados