Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry with California Avocados & Brown Rice
|3||Tbsp.||Wok Aromatics (recipe follows)|
|3/4||cup||Teriyaki Sauce (recipe follows)|
|As needed||Velvet Chicken (recipe follows)|
|4||Tbsp.||expeller-pressed canola oil|
|6||oz.||baby bok choy, 1/2" pieces|
|4 1/2||oz.||broccoli florets, 1" pieces|
|4||oz.||green beans, 1" pieces|
|3 1/2||oz.||sugar snap peas, stemmed|
|3||oz.||onion, 1/4" thick slices|
|2 1/2||cups||brown rice, steamed|
|1||Fresh California Avocados*, sliced|
|3||Tbsp.||scallion, thinly sliced|
|3/4||tsp.||toasted sesame seeds|
|Fresh cilantro sprigs, as needed|
|Wok Aromatics (Yield: 1 cup)|
|1 1/2||oz.||lemongrass, chopped|
|1 1/2||oz.||ginger, peeled, chopped|
|2||oz.||scallion, white part only, chopped|
|1/2||Tbsp.||expeller-pressed canola oil, if needed|
|1||Tbsp.||water, if needed|
|1 1/2||tsp.||sambal oelek|
|Teriyaki Sauce (Yield: 2 cups)|
|5||oz.||pineapple, peeled, cored, chopped|
|2||oz.||Fuji apple, cored, chopped|
|9 1/2||oz.||low sodium soy sauce|
|3||oz.||orange juice, freshly squeezed|
|3 1/2||oz.||brown sugar|
|1||Tbsp.||ginger, peeled, chopped|
|Velvet Chicken (Yield: 3/4 cup)|
|1||organic chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into 1" cubes|
|1||organic egg white|
|16||oz.||expeller-pressed canola oil|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Combine the lemongrass, ginger, and scallion in a food processor and grind into a smooth paste. Add the canola oil if needed to smooth mixture into a paste. If the mixture seems dry, add the water. Pour mixture into a bowl and fold in the sambal oelek.
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook until all ingredients are tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 20 minutes. Transfer mixture to a blender. Puree until smooth, transfer to bowl.
- Combine the egg white and cornstarch in a bowl. Add the chicken cubes and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large pot to 275° F. Strain the chicken cubes and add them to the hot oil.
- Cook until the cubes just begin to turn white, about 30 seconds to 1 minute, separating the pieces if needed. Remove from the oil, drain on paper towels.
- Heat a wok or sauté pan over medium high heat. Add 1-2 Tbsp. of the canola oil.
- Working in 3 batches, add ¼ cup of the chicken cubes and cook until golden brown. Add 1 Tbsp. of the wok aromatics, 1 cup of baby bok choy, 2/3 cup broccoli florets, 1/3 cup green beans, 1/3 cup sugar snap peas, ¼ cup onion and cook until vegetables are al dente and chicken is cooked through. Add ¼ cup of Teriyaki Sauce and reduce slightly.
- Transfer to a bowl and repeat two more times, wiping out the wok/pan in between batches.
- Divide rice among serving plates, top with equal portions of the Teriyaki chicken stir fry. Garnish each plate with sliced Fresh California Avocado, sesame seeds, scallions, and a sprig of cilantro.
* A large Fresh California Avocado weighs about 8 oz.