This refreshing twist to the beloved BLT adds two of our favorite things: salmon and fresh California Avocados. The result is an instant classic.
The California BLAST Sandwich
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|8||(1/2-inch) slices rustic or country bread|
|1/4||cup||olive oil, divided|
|4||(4-oz.) boneless and skinless salmon fillets|
|1/4||tsp.||freshly ground black pepper|
|4||leaves green leaf or red leaf lettuce|
|1||tomato, cut into eight slices|
|8||slices bacon, cooked until crispy and drained on paper towels|
|2||ripe Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and sliced|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat grill to medium-high. You should be able to hold your hand a few inches above the grate for just 3 seconds. Brush the bread slices on one side with some of the olive oil. Place bread on the grill, oiled side down, and grill until marks appear, about 1 minute. Rotate bread a quarter turn and continue to grill another minute for cross-hatch grill marks.
- Remove bread from grill and spread equal amount of mayonnaise on the un-grilled side of each of the bread slices. Set bread aside, grilled side down.
- Dip each salmon fillet in the remaining olive oil and place it on grill diagonally, as if facing 10 o’clock. Season each fillet with salt and pepper. Cook until grill marks appear, about 1 1/2 minutes. Turn a quarter turn so it faces 1 o’clock and grill another 1 1/2 minutes. Use a spatula to turn the fish over and finish cooking until the salmon is opaque throughout and flakes easily, about 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Divide half of the grilled bread slices onto serving plates. Top each bread slice with a whole lettuce leaf, slices of tomato, salmon, avocado and bacon.
- Close each sandwich stack with the remaining bread slices and serve.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © 2014, Lisa Schroeder
Vitamin A 1741 IU; Vitamin C 13 mg; Calcium 36 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 3 IU; Folate 83 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.27 g
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 60%; Vitamin A 35%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 4%; Iron 10%