Turkey and Avocado Salad in a Bread Shell
Ingredients4 (6-inch) round sourdough or French bread loaves* 2 large, ripe Fresh California Avocados 1 Tbsp. lemon juice 1 (5 to 10 oz.) bag mixed lettuces** 3/4 lb. Smoked or roasted turkey or chicken, cut into strips 1/2 cup Dried cherries or cranberries 1/2 cup light honey Dijon dressing 24 Prepared bread shells (6-inch)
- Using a serrated knife, cut about 3/4 inch off the top of each loaf of bread.
- Form bread bowls by tearing out the interior of each loaf, leaving just a 1/2 inch shell on the bottom and sides. Set aside.
- Peel, seed and cut avocados into chunks; toss gently with lemon juice. Reserve.
- In large bowl, combine remaining ingredients and toss well.
- Gently fold in reserved avocado chunks.
- Fill each bread shell with the salad mixture, creating a slight mound on top. Serve immediately.
Also great as an entrée salad without the bread shell.
*Available at upscale supermarkets or your local bakery
**Or use 8 cups of chopped mixed lettuces
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados