Turkey and Avocado Salad in a Bread Shell
|4||(6-inch) round sourdough or French bread loaves*|
|2||large, ripe Fresh California Avocados|
|1||(5 to 10 oz.) bag mixed lettuces**|
|3/4||lb.||Smoked or roasted turkey or chicken, cut into strips|
|1/2||cup||Dried cherries or cranberries|
|1/2||cup||light honey Dijon dressing|
|24||Prepared bread shells (6-inch)|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Using a serrated knife, cut about 3/4 inch off the top of each loaf of bread.
- Form bread bowls by tearing out the interior of each loaf, leaving just a 1/2 inch shell on the bottom and sides. Set aside.
- Peel, seed and cut avocados into chunks; toss gently with lemon juice. Reserve.
- In large bowl, combine remaining ingredients and toss well.
- Gently fold in reserved avocado chunks.
- Fill each bread shell with the salad mixture, creating a slight mound on top. Serve immediately.
Also great as an entrée salad without the bread shell.
*Available at upscale supermarkets or your local bakery
**Or use 8 cups of chopped mixed lettuces
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.