California Avocado Beefsteak Tomato Sandwich
|1 1/2||cups||California Avocado Aliolii, (recipe follows)|
|3||cups||Whiskey Bacon Jam, (recipe follows)|
|24||slices||beefsteak tomato, ½" thick|
|24||slices||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, ¼" thick (instructions follow)|
|1/3||cup||+2 tsp. California Avocado oil|
|6||tsp.||fresh lemon juice (from about 1 lemon)|
|California Avocado Aioli (Yield: 1-1/2 cups)|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled|
|1||tsp.||fresh lemon juice|
|Whiskey Bacon Jam (Yield: 3 cups)|
|1||oz.||California Avocado Oil|
|1||lb.||yellow onion, sliced 1/4"|
|12||oz.||bacon, ¼" lardons|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
California Avocado Aioli
- Smash avocado in a bowl; mix in remaining ingredients until fairly smooth.
Whiskey Bacon Jam
- Heat a large sauté pan on high; add in oil just until it smokes.
- Add the sliced onions and coat with oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook for 4 minutes; toss and cook for an additional 4 minutes, until onion starts to brown.
- Move the onions to one side of the pan and add bacon on the other side. Cook bacon until crisp, reserving all of the renderings. While bacon is cooking stir onions so they do not burn.
- Once bacon is cooked, stir onions and bacon together; stir in garlic and cook until browned, about 1 minute.
- Add coconut sugar and toss to incorporate. Once sugar has dissolved deglaze the pan with whiskey; let simmer for 3 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Add thyme and oregano, toss and turn off the heat. Let steep for 10 minutes.
- Keep warm or cool until ready to use.
Avocado Cut in Whole Slices
- Cut avocado in half lengthwise, seed and peel.
- Place cut side of avocado on cutting board; holding knife parallel to board, cut into 4 ¼” slices per half.
Assemble, per order:
- Warm Whiskey Bacon Jam to spreadable consistency.
- Butter 2 slices of sourdough bread edge to edge then season with ½ tsp. garlic salt; toast until golden brown.
- Spread both untoasted sides of bread with 1 Tbsp. Californian Avocado Aioli.
- Spread ¼ cup Whiskey Bacon Jam evenly on top of aioli on bottom slice of bread.
- Place 2 tomato slices on top; season with 1/6 tsp. each salt and pepper.
- Top with 2 avocado slices and ½ cup microgreens. Drizzle with 1 ½ tsp. avocado oil and ½ tsp. lemon.
- Place second piece of bread on top of microgreens.
- Serve whole or cut in half.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.